We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews

Hi there,

We just took a cruise and I submitted 3 reviews of places that we went. 2 out of 3 were excellent but one was not great. The owner has contacted me and asked me to remove my review, refunded my money and wants me to enter a new review giving them an excellent. They have approx. 538 excellent, 15 very good, 3 average and 1 terrible. Is it possible that the reviews are not valid because they are offering the refunds for a positive review? It definitely was not an excellent tour and I told them that at the most I would raise it to a very good status but that they should simply respond to the review with the same explanations that they gave me. (Crew called in sick so there was only one person on catamaran, couldn't put sails up because he was alone, no music because the crew member who called in sick had the front of the stereo, etc.)

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,272 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews

Your review was accurate and true for your experience that day. Owners are not to contact their reviewers to influence them in any way, or to bully or harass them. You are quite right. The owner/management can write a management response, which is the appropriate thing to do. I would not in any way change my review to reflect an experience I did not have.

The owner may not be a registered as an owner, I don't see other reviews with a management response. Your review will be an opportunity for him to register and then post a response. That's the process that TA have in place for reviews and responses.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,397 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews

Welcome to the Support Forum! Please note that I'm just a member like you.

"Is it possible that the reviews are not valid because they are offering the refunds for a positive review?"

Yes!! It is totally possible that owners who intimidate and threaten customers, or like this one you mention, makes a full refund, get no bad reviews. In essence, the owners is paying/extorting a good review.

"It definitely was not an excellent tour and I told them that at the most I would raise it to a very good status " Why would you? Your review recounts your experience with this tour. That took place at a moment in time. You shouldn't just update and upgrade a review for what happened afterwards. Think of your review as a taking a snapshot; Photoshop aside, you can't change a picture, can you?

If I were you, and if you wrote an honest account of your experience, I would not take the refund, would not remove the review, and would report this owner to Tripadvisor Staff. This way you'll be preventing others from taking this tour and the owner only reacting once you post a bad review--he could have offered a refund right there when the staff didn't show up.

If you decide to report this owner, use this form: www.tripadvisor.com/generalsupport

Select Reviews > Question about guidelines

You'll be doing your fellow travelers a huge favor, something that if every member does will also save you from dealing with unscrupulous owners with excellent reviews in the future. (By the way, I'm a traveler, but also a business owner, and I feel very strongly about owners who buy reviews, extort, and threaten reviewers instead of providing proper service and addressing issues when they arise).

Silvia

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,326 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews

Hi Catlady143;

Owners / managers are NOT to contact reviewers about the reviews of their accommodation, attraction or restaurant.

tripadvisor.com/help/businessrep_approached_…

Also, TripAdvisor does not condone owners / managers harassing, threatening, or bullying users about their reviews. Please alert TA staff to this property’s behaviour.

Best Regards

4. Re: Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 16:05
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,916 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews

"If he contacted you via TripAdvisor private message, I would keep the money, leave the review and report him."

Probably not a good idea to be giving immoral advice out like this.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews

<<"If he contacted you via TripAdvisor private message, I would keep the money, leave the review and report him."

Probably not a good idea to be giving immoral advice out like this.>>

This is in no way immoral.

He gave you a refund as a dissatisfied customer, as this appears to have already been given, it is not conditional on changing your review.

He asked you to remove, and replace your review, which is against TA guidelines, so Hoogo is correct - you should leave the review as it stands, and report the incident.

7. Re: Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:17