We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Local "Attractions" Category??

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
406 posts
636 reviews
Save Topic
No Local "Attractions" Category??

When going to a specific "Location" Tourism page I would expect to see an index listing for the Attractions in that Location. Why would there be no such category visible on the "Location" Tourism page, if there are in fact multiple valid Attraction listings already in TA for that Location?

For example: If you go to the East Rochester NY Tourism page there are listings of Hotels and Restaurants, but no listing of Attractions (aka "Things to Do in East Rochester"). But if you search on an Attraction in that Location that I happen to know is in TA (i.e., Piano Works Mall) you will find it and it can take you to the East Rochester "Things to Do" listing that has several other attractions also evident.

Note that this is not questioning the validity of a desired listing, just how existing listings are indexed and linked by location within TA.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Local "Attractions" Category??

Tourism pages don't show all listings but top rated with a link to all right below it. I have no idea why the East Rochester page does not have such link but check and see the NYC page has the top rated restaurants and attractions at the bottom:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g60763-New_York_City…

So does my destination tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g317144-Cabarete_Pue…

It may be because there are only four attractions in East Rochester, three of which don't have any reviews yet (thus can't be top rated)

Silvia

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
406 posts
636 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No Local "Attractions" Category??

Yes, I understand that other "Tourism" pages have the Attractions listing, and that only the top few are listed separately, and that there then is typically a link to get to the rest. In fact, most "Tourism" pages are that way. Where there is only one attraction it can be listed/linked (even if not reviewed), so I don't think the trigger is the number of listings (obviously NYC will have more than the sleepy town of East Rochester) or the number of reviews.

I guess I assumed that the listing/link on the "Tourism" page was automatically generated by the TA software when a valid Attraction was created in the system for that location. Is there a need for a separate request to TA to generate a "Things to Do" page for a Location, even after specific Attractions in that location are listed? If so, How?

There can be something of a "Catch 22" in that Attractions won't be visited and reviewed in TA unless someone knows about them, and one primary way of knowing about them (if you are from out of town) is to see them listed/linked on the location's "Tourism" page.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Local "Attractions" Category??

"Is there a need for a separate request to TA to generate a "Things to Do" page for a Location, even after specific Attractions in that location are listed?"

Are you a business owner with an attraction business in the East Rochester area or just a concerned member?

If you are a member and want to post your feedback or suggestion to include Attractions in all TA pages, please add that to the Help Us Make Tripadvisor Better forum (with an example): tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g31407-Williams_Ariz…

If you are a business owner, then let us know. You may be able to phone Tripadvisor and ask why your business is not listed on the Tourism page.

Silvia

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
406 posts
636 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No Local "Attractions" Category??

I am a concerned member in that I frequently use TA for my own travel research. I would like to think that if I go to any "Location" Tourism page I will see the local Attractions that are in the system.

I am not an East Rochester business owner but my wife is an employee of one of the listed Attractions. I have been helping her and the business owner with marketing advice - including the use of internet sites like TA.

I will post something to the Improve TA forum, but finding any phone or specific e-mail addresses for a real person at TA is extremely difficult (presumably by TA's intent).

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,762 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No Local "Attractions" Category??

Tripadvisor does not offer support to general members. However, if this business owner claims his listing and gets verified, he'll have access to the Owners' forum. We can pass on to him the phone number for Owner Support. Yet, for a suggestion, that phone line is not the right venue. It's phone support for issues that cannot be solved on the forum or the management center.

Have your wife tell her boss to sign on as an owner and follow directions to the Owners' forum. That forum is also peer-to-peer assistance. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5056048…

Silvia

6. Re: No Local "Attractions" Category??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:20