We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

I can understand the need to protect the integrity of Tripadvisor - although if just a fraction of the stories on the internet are to be believed that integrity may have been breached some time ago.

However the time taken for some reviews to be published takes away from the user experience and discourages members from taking the time out to write good quality material. People want to see their review posted up for all to see. In particular more senior members with a number of reviews to their name.

Having never been called to task on any of my reviews is it unreasonable to expect a degree of trust from Tripadvisor as I progress through the ranks? I hope my reviews are fair, balanced, pertinent and well written in a way which engages the reader and yet still they are held in quarantine just as they were when I was still wet behind the ears with no posting history.

This would also free up staff to vet more potentially volatile reviews - we have all seen those explosive posts from first time contributors !

I now sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for this to get posted :-)

edited to say "Oh me of little faith, it went straight on !"

Edited: 12 March 2014, 10:39
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

I've submitted two reviews recently and both were "live" on the site within 48 hours! Considering the colossal number of reviews submitted and the process they have to go through to ensure (where possible) authenticity and guideline adherence I don't think the do too bad... the majority of "mess ups" are due to user error and being unaware of the "process" :)

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

As a new reviewer I agree that 48 hours is reasonable. But after 20, 30, 40 or even 50 reviews without controversy would you not think it safe to allow posts onto the site directly pending email confirmation from you that the review is indeed yours and genuine.

Henry

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

Members "could" use their "experience" as a shroud to post inaccurate or even fraudulent reviews knowing that they wouldn't be challenged, so no, I think to maintain consistency in the process every review should be treated the same; it is, after all, a mainly automated process with very little human intervention.

There are many reviews that get posted that don't even require an email confirmation prior to them being published, I didn't get any - the only emails I received were to say 1) Thanks for your review and 2) You're review has now been posted - can't get much better than that really. :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

>>However the time taken for some reviews to be published takes away from the user experience and discourages members from taking the time out to write good quality material.>>

What, a couple of days generally?

<<"I now sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for this to get posted :-)

edited to say "Oh me of little faith, it went straight on !" >>

You have confused posting to a forum, which is immediate, with reviews, which might be a few hours, might be as long as a couple of weeks for new users.

Tees Valley
Level Contributor
12,329 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

My experience has been the more reviews I've posted over the years, the quicker they appear on the site. I'm not sure whether this is a coincidence or TA practice.

The 2 reviews I posted recently were published within 24 hrs but I seem to recall 'in the very early days' as a new poster, they could take up to 4 days during peak holiday periods.

Jules

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

I agree that it would be reasonable for more established members to have a streamlined approval process for reviews. I have earned the rank of "Top Contributor", and if I were going to post bogus reviews, I'm sure I'd have done it by now.

This is something I find particularly frustrating at the moment as I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get a review of the last hotel I stayed in posted. It got singled out as needing secondary verification, which would be fine if I ever received the verification emails, which I don't.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
57,602 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

Like julesTeesValley, it seems to me as though my reviews are posted quicker now than they were when I started reviewing. If my perception is correct, this could be because the whole process has become quicker and more efficient, rather than more senior contributors being treated differently. IIRC my last couple of reviews were posted within 24 hours.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

joeintheuk said :

You have confused posting to a forum, which is immediate, with reviews, which might be a few hours, might be as long as a couple of weeks for new users.

When I posted up the initial thread there was a comment on the site which said delays may occur due to verification or words along those lines.

London
Level Contributor
19 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

MKB_20132013 said :

Members "could" use their "experience" as a shroud to post inaccurate or even fraudulent reviews knowing that they wouldn't be challenged, so no, I think to maintain consistency in the process every review should be treated the same; it is, after all, a mainly automated process with very little human intervention.

You only read part of my post. 20, 30, 40 or 50 reviews without controversy.

In the event that a review gets flagged as being inaccurate or fraudulent then it's back to being monitored. As it is the current system allows for fraudulent reviews, I even came across a price list the other day. The higher up the ladder you wanted the reviewer to be the more it was going to cost.

Allowing direct reviews from more long standing members would free up staff to more thoroughly investigate the potentially more risky submissions and also act on complaints from property owners in a more timely manner.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,612 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delays posting reviews on Tripadvisor spoil the experience

Those who say that the more reviews you post the quicker they are posted, quite likely a coincidence.

I have about 120 reviews posted. My last two reviews, submitted on the 8th, both required verification and they're still pending. Four days, no big deal. What if it takes a week or longer?

As to the suggestion, I don't think if something like this exists now or is ever implemented, Trpadvisor will tell you. That would make it quite easy for those who sell their reviews to circumvent the system. IMO

Silvia