We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

Leicester, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

It's a mandatory field and I can't input the fact that I don't live in or near a city or town!

Some of still live in rural communities!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forums!

The forums are primarily member-driven and I'm a member like you.

You can only input towns/cities that are known to TA's database. From what I've seen on this forum, many members prefer to list themselves in cities, even though they don't live there, in order to provide some anonymity. While some members may not care too much about anonymity, some do, especially when reviewing they'd rather be anonymous.

Regards,

L4

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

TripAdvisor might change your location to what you want if you contact them. This is what I would try:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Select "Sign in & registration"

Select "Change my screen name / my name shows"

Make your request in the comment box.

Please let us know if it works.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,894 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

Hi

Why I first joined it was free field box but once the travel map was introduced and you added any pins you them had to select a location from the map and I chose the nearest place to where we live

TA cannot include every town, village or hamlet on the planet on their map

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

The location is very useful when responding to forum posts where the answer may depend on whether you are local, from further afield or a foreigner. With small village names it becomes less obvious what area someone is from.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,918 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

Choose a region (I assume you can still do that) otherwise, choose the biggest city in your region.

6. Re: Why does this site need me to identify which city I live in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 04:50