We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saving posts on the forum....help please

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Saving posts on the forum....help please

I find so much on the forums that I would love to save for upcoming trips. I tap on the post it says 'save', but .... probably a foolish question...and I am technically challenged...I can't find where it saves to.

I have looked on my saved trips page....

I have also asked this question to what I thought was the support page... But not sure where that went either!

Thanks for your help

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Hi Fenguin,

Yes, you go to the Saved Trips page. On the right, where it says "View by" I have mine set to the box with the four squares. Say I want to look at forum posts for Prague, where it says, "Filter by location" I'd select Prague. From there, I'd scroll down below the map and see the forum posts I've saved. Usually, I save to folders that I've created as that's easier. On the left it says Saved Trip and just right of that, All. I can then click on the arrow and select the folders where I have posts, etc. saved. Could you give this a try and post back if you're still not finding them?

Regards,

L4

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,791 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Fenguine, because I ended up with so many I now save mine to the Favourites or Bookmarks on my computer.

Then I copy out the information I need ito a word document so it makes sense and is all together. Much easier.

Edited: 18 March 2014, 00:36
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,511 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Hi Fenguin ~

A forum post will automatically save to the city or state/province/region. Go to the top edge of the page where your user name is. Click or hover there and select "Saved Trips."

Here you will find whatever posts/threads you have saved. Lucky has described very nicely how to work with the features on the page. Each post has a file folder icon in it. When you open it, you will see a pop up of some instructions and a list of items. The last on the list says "add new trip" which means create a new file as you wish which the post can be moved to.

Here is information from the Help Centre for "Site feature." Once on this page look for the section called "Saves."

https:/…200056877-Site-Features

I'm not a big fan of the new design of the Saved Trips. I also do what Sue does - a combination of favourites and Word Docs. It's just so much easier.

But mymsman, a regular poster here has said: PlanApple and Travellerspoint have much more useful trip planners that allow you to save any web page plus notes to your trips, organise them and share with others.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Thank you all so much. I fear it must be me! I can ( and could) save restaurants etc. There is just no where I can see on the forum posts that indicate I can add it to my trip page. I can tap on the post ( I am using an iPad- quite old) and a little green box comes up with save written on it. I tap on that.....but I have no idea if or where it goes!

Sorry to be a nuisance! I did read the page....but obviously I need technology 101.

I will have a look at the apple app....I truly think though it is staring me in the face....I just can't see it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Yay!

I have switched to working on my Macbook and I can see what was happening - or rather not happening….on the iPad. When I tapped the 'save' button, it lit up on forum posts - but no drop down box appeared. I wonder if others may have encountered this problem?

Hovering over the 'save box ' on the forum posts using the Macbook brought instant success. It is straightforward - I am easily able to create folders and save the information accordingly.

Thanks so much for your advice. I will still look at other ways of organising the information for our upcoming trip and no doubt will return here for ideas. Cheers!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Fenguin,

That's great news. I'm glad you were able to get it to work! :-)

Regards,

L4

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

I don't quite know what is going on with my saved forum posts...none of them are showing up when I go to my saved trips!

The only thing that shows up are individual restaurants or hotels I have saved. But what I am really hoping to save are forum posts including trip reports, questions I have that already have excellent answers, etc. Can someone help me find all these saved posts I have been saving for the last few weeks??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,511 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Elizabeth ~

Any threads you save will go to a folder for that city. You say post, but it saves the whole thread. So if you have a post on the Toronto Forum that you want to save, it will send the whole thread to a folder called Toronto. It is possible to then custom create folders and move those threads to the folder you want it to be in, e.g. Washington DC trip.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 04:11
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

That's fine if it saves the entire thread, there is usually lots of good information in the entire thread!

The problem - I have two folders created, one for London and one for Paris - I am saving threads and assigning them to one of my two folders - and there is a link to go to my saved trips - so I go to the Paris folder and I can not seem to find any of the threads I have been saving?!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,511 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saving posts on the forum....help please

Are those the only folders you've got. I think if you are saving a thread from the Versailles forum, for example, you will automatically end up with a Versailles folder. Because that's not Paris. If someone more knowledgeable doesn't come on to give you better info, please post a new question. You have tagged on to an old thread at #7. But doing that does make me think that you've got other files in your saved trips that you are not aware of. Not sure though.