We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

deposit

Coshocton, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
deposit

As a first time user of TripAdvisor, how do you go about getting your deposit back that you were promised after inspection ? The home was inspected while we were present and was told that we would get it back. As of yet we have not recieved it 2wks later.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: deposit

Hi there

Did you have to leave a breakage deposit on an apartment/vacation rental? If so, then I think you would need to claim it back from them - I may be wrong.

Coshocton, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: deposit

Not sure what you mean. We had to give a deposit to hold the home and was told that it would be returned no later than 2 days after leaving. But that being said we had the owner stop and look at the house the night before leaving and she said that she would get it back to us., but never did.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,122 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: deposit

Hi TruelyAmazed;

Have you contacted the owner ?

Best Regards

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: deposit

Ah ok, so it was a holding deposit, not a security deposit then... either way we needed to ascertain that you left one with the owners, and as RT says, you need to contact the owner, it doesn't have anything to do with Tripadvisor, they don't take your money.

Coshocton, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: deposit

yes, i have the cleared check from bank that i paid the owner back in October. We had friends staying the following week and she told us that she would give it to them when she could get to bank on mon. we were fine with that ,after we left she txt them and said she was just going to mail it to me, but never did. She does answer her phone. I guess this is a live and learn situation. Thank you.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,122 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: deposit

Hi TruelyAmazed;

You can try contacting TripAdvisor and see if they can assist you:

www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Select Vacation/Holiday Rental > Concern about my booked vacation rental

Best Regards

Sevenoaks, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: deposit

I am also in the same position - unable to get my deposit back, for absolutely no good reason. I would not have booked the rental, but for the promise that TripAdvisor would return my deposit of €200 within ten days of owner inspection. TripAdvisor now denies that this was our agreement, despite my providing a copy of the relevant clause. Apparently, I should have recovered my deposit direct from the owner, presumably before I handed back the keys and left Majorca. Very poor indeed. I shall never book a rental via TripAdvisor again.

Oak Park, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: deposit

I am also having trouble getting a deposit back. The owner says that tripadvisor holds the deposit for seven days after I check out and that the owner has no control of when we get the deposit back. It's been ten days and tripadvisor has not returned my deposit.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,208 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: deposit

"If you're given a refund for a rental that you paid for via TripAdvisor, your refund will be credited to your bank account." https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

If it is not deposited in your bank account, use the link RescueTeam provided a few posts above yours to contact Tripadvisor.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 20:21
Plymouth, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: deposit

We too have not had our deposit back from a holiday villa that we rented in Gocek in early june via trip advisor. We have also tried to contact the owner who does not reply. Now trip advisor has stopped replying to our complaints. It is thorough;y unsatisfactory.