We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of new business listing rejected

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Review of new business listing rejected

I just had the dreaded "reject" email. It states: "Thank you for your interest in listing a business on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, this business does not meet our submission guidelines. You can review our listings guidelines here:".

I reviewed the listing guidelines, and the business in question (to which I am in no way affiliated, except as a customer) easily falls within the guidelines for both "B&B/Inn" and "Speciality Lodging" (it's a boat). The irritating thing is TA gives no explanation for the rejection, and I have lost what I consider to be a well-crafted review of a small business not previously listed on TA.

Do I have any recourse? Can I get my review text back and resubmit? Right now I'm thinking that this particular senior reviewer isn't going to bother submitting any more reviews, if that's the way they get treated.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,815 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

Welcome to the forums! This is the Help Us Make Tripadvisor Better forum--a reform to provide feedback and make suggestions to Tripadvisor to improve the site experience. Tripadvisor staff may move your post to the Support Forum later on. Note that I'm just a member like you.

Could you post a link to the website of this house boat? Only by looking at their website, can we give you an idea of why the listing was rejected.

Also, a piece of advice, never submit a review with keeping a copy of it. You never know what can go wrong with an online submission.

Silvia

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

TA staff has moved this to Support.

Oh dear, Swandodger, you didn't keep a copy of your review? Computer systems are not infallible and mistakes do happen. Always keep a copy in your Word file.

This sounds like it might be an error on TA's part. It does happen on a rare occasion. Yes, can you please post a link of the business? TA lists a wide variety of Specialty Lodging. It's not a self catering, is it?

As an aside, we had been wondering how TA would deal with a submission + review that got denied. That is quite new around here. Now we know!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

Thanks for the sarcasm. Been using computers almost every day since 1978 so of course I kept a copy - but that's not the point. The point is that TA should have kept a copy for me, in case I didn't, and give me a chance to resubmit it after corrections. If I was designing their system, that's what I would do.

The houseboat in question doesn't have an independent website, it advertises through partners. No, it's not self catering. The guidelines requirement for a website read:

"Meets the TripAdvisor guidelines in that category as listed here, which means that we would need to see those services listed on the accommodation’s website or a partner’s website, such as a tourist board or reservations partner.". Booking.com is the first result for a google search.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/nl/hotelboot-allure.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=hotelboot-allure-IOC7m2p8wyu1L5iDjb9PUwS28564708260%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=851fe34b27a7becddfde88c8da04a062;dcid=1;ucfs=1;srfid=69bf637805fbca209a10da742db448e363f10784X1

FYI here's the full text of the rejection mail:

"Hello,

Thank you for your interest in listing a business on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, this business does not meet our submission guidelines. You can review our listings guidelines here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GetListedNew

You're welcome to discuss your experience with this property in our TripAdvisor Forums (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome). Forums are discussion boards in which members can ask and answer travel-related questions and share opinions with fellow members.

We look forward to seeing your contribution to our community.

Best regards,

The TripAdvisor Support Team"

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,815 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

Sorry but I don't think there was any sarcasm on our posts. We were commenting on your statement: "I have lost what I consider to be a well-crafted review of a small business not previously listed on TA."

Submitting reviews at the same time of requesting a listing is a new feature. We believe reviews are lost if the listing request is rejected but don't know for sure until someone who got a rejection submits a new listing request for the same place without a review.

Anyhow, I agree with you that this hotel boat seems to meet the listing guidelines for specialty lodging. There is no mention of available housekeeping services every day, so it may not meet the B&Bs criteria. I'm surprised is not already listed. When accommodations have listing partners, these partners themselves submit the listings with their booking links.

In your first post you asked if you had any recourse. No you don't, but you can insist a submit your request again. It wouldn't be the first time that a listing is rejected by mistake.

Silvia

Edited: 25 March 2014, 19:09
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

Sarcasm? Oh no, that wasn't sarcasm at all. You said:

>> I have lost what I consider to be a well-crafted review of a small business not previously listed on TA.<<

We were simply commenting that was too bad and that it would be wise in the future to keep copies of all your reviews.

So, you have not *lost* the review at all! Hooray, good news indeed :-))

Sorry, I didn't copy all that long link. You may want to use tinyurl to make it a short one. Much more efficient. Or simply say the name of the lodging.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

The "sarcasm" remark wasn't aimed at you, Silvia. It was in response to the "Oh dear, ..." comment from half-Brit. As a full brit myself and a contributor on many forums I have several decades of practice in recognising sarcasm when I see it. However, perhaps I misread the remark and it was schadenfreude rather than sarcasm; still not the best way to welcome a new forum member, sadly.

Resubmission was always on the cards, though not being able to determine what it was about the listing that was objectionable suggests it may simply be rejected again. I'm thick skinned so will go through the submission process again, if only to test the waters more thoroughly.

I still think that rejecting the listing without giving a clue as to the reason is an excellent way to discourage potential contributors. I appreciate that TA have a lot of submissions to review, but some simple pointers picked from a drop-down menu can't be beyond their wit.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

Oh for pity's sake.

>>perhaps I misread the remark<<

No kidding.

See ya later, alligator!

8. Re: Review of new business listing rejected

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 05:16