We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Pretoria
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

I recently attempted to post a review for Corner Cottage B&B in Kaapsehoop, Mpumalanga, South Africa. I was notified that the review could not be listed because it didn’t meet your submission guidelines. I understand that in some cases you’re willing to make an exception and I believe this might be a case in point.

The village of Kaapsehoop has only 200 residents and all accommodations are small and intimate with limited space. This doesn’t affect the popularity of the village as it’s a great stopover en-route to the very popular Kruger National Park. The local wild horses are also a popular attraction and many folks visit just to see them. The town, because of its location atop a mountain with sweeping views of the ‘Lowveld’ and with some great hiking trails, is indeed a tourist attraction and I believe the available accommodations should be given fair representation on your web site, as it appears almost all do not meet your submission guidelines because they’re small. I thank you for your attention to my request and look forward to your response.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,535 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Hi Andrew;

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. It is NOT an effective way of contacting TA staff.

I would suggest reading the accommodation listing criteria.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GetListedNew

Best Regards

Pretoria
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

I've read the listing criteria. The purpose of my email was to ask TA to make an exception in this case, as it states somewhere on your website you might consider doing.

Please explain how to contact TA staff regarding my request. An email address would be helpful. It isn't immediately clear how to do that on your website which appears to discourage that kind of direct contact. Thank you.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,535 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Hi Andrew;

Respectfully, you have NOT submitted an email to a TripAdvisor office, but have posted on a public, peer-to-peer forum. You have mistaken me for a member of TripAdvisor's staff, which I am NOT. TA staff are easily identified by the prefix "TA" before their name, IE – TA Jack or TA Jill and the words TripAdvisor staff below it.

TripAdvisor does not provide one-on-one telephone or email support for it's general users. There is no "follow-up" method or appeal process. If TA staff have rejected your listing request, there is very little more that any of us on this forum can do, to assist you further.

Best Regards

Pretoria
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Hi,

I assumed by your TA profile signature - TripAdvisor Support - that you represented TA officially. Apologies for being curt. Thanks to you I now know better.

It's pretty poor show that TA doesn't provide a channel to query rejections, especially so when they mention that they're willing to make exceptions. That's a bit of a contradiction. The website isn't very helpful either, except to point one to their listing criteria which in this case is of no help.

Thanks anyway.

A

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,769 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Andrew,

You said in your first post that you believe that TA does not lists businesses in this town because they are small. TA would list any business that fits their listing criteria.

This B&B you're trying to get listed, does it have a website? I googled it but couldn't find it. TA has to verify the existence of the property, how many rooms it has, what services they provide, etc., to list it and place it in the correct category. They've been burned before with listing of inexistent properties, so they won't list anything they can confirm. Having said that, every now and then we read in this forum, businesses that seem to meet the criteria are rejected on the first submission, but accepted later when reviewers provide more, verifiable, detailed information.

Silvia

PS: the way to appeal a rejected request is, in my view, to re-submit it with additional information and a website.

Edited: 28 March 2014, 13:25
Pretoria
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Silvia,

The B&B does not have a web site. Having said that, I previously reviewed a similar B&B which also doesn't have a website and the review was posted without a problem.

I accept that the way to appeal is to re-submit, thanks for mentioning that. That isn't clear however on the TA web site.

If I provided TA with a contact name and telephone number would that help to get the review posted?

A

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,769 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Andrew,

Yes, it used to be a lot easier to get accommodations without a website listed before, especially if they were also listed with online travel agencies. Not very long ago though, it seems that TA has decided to be more strict with such listings. There was a well-known case of an non-existent property created with lots of reviews, that I think was created with the only purpose to discredit TA.

Yes, do add the telephone number of the B&B, and if there is no webpage, if it is mentioned in a guide book for example or any other website, provide that. It may help.

Silvia

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

TA is going to need some way of independently verifying that a business exists before it will list it. The most common way that it does this is to refer to the businesses web site. It does have staff that will do some research in cases where a website doesn't exist, but if they can't find anything, they will not list a site.

So, put yourself in TripAdvisor's shoes - they only want to list sites that really do provide the services that they claim. How would you go about verifying that this is a legitimate site, if it was your job to do so?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

Andrew H, you did fill out the listing request form at the same time you submitted your review, yes? A property has to be listed before TA will accept any reviews.

Yes, on the listing request form, include all the information you have about this B&B. Use the 'zip/post code' box to add information. If this place is noted anywhere else on the internet, provide that URL to TA staff. With millions of requests for listings, TA staff needs to be able to easily verify that this is a legitimate business.

--

Some info about DEs...

On several of our profiles here on this thread, you'll see the funky little green box and then "Destination Expert for ____". Members can be Destination Experts (DEs) for locations worldwide, as well as for the "Non-Destination" catgories such as Train Travel, Road Trips, or, in the case of both RescueTeam and Expat-in-Cabaret , TripAdvisor Support forum.

Any member can answer enquiries on the Support forum without being any kind of DE, or if they are a DE for some destination, as TravellingBritNY and myself are. The 'TripAdvisor Support' forum DEs go one step further and also assist business owners with using TripAdvisor.

10. Re: Accommodation Cannot Be Listed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:17