We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heartbleed

Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Heartbleed

Several websites that are helping people identify Heartbleed vulnerable websites are reporting that tripadvisor.com is possibly unsafe. Have you issued an advisory to you users telling us specifically you status relative to Heartbleed. Is there Heartbleed vulnerability for users of tripadvisor.com?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
75,029 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heartbleed

Hi sbens414;

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. TA staff are easily identified by the prefix "TA" before their name, IE – TA Jack or TA Jill and the words TripAdvisor staff below it.

Even Revenue Canada (Canada's tax collector /"IRS") has been hacked. I doubt that ANY website is 100% secure, ever.

With that being said, there is very little private information kept about users on TA, generally a user's email address and the password to access the site.

For your own peace of mind, I would suggest changing your TripAdvisor password.

tripadvisor.ca/help/how_to_change_your_passw…

Best Regards

Edited: 11 April 2014, 12:10
Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heartbleed

Thanks for your response. I do understand that this is an issue for many, many other top-notch websites. Your response does not, however, directly answer my question. I hope that tripadvisor broadly distributes a statement on this issue given the magnitude of it's security implications. Hopefully, a TA staff member will post a direct response to my question.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heartbleed

There are two issues here.

1. Did TA suffer from the issue

2. Have they applied the patch.

According to this website http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/#tripadvisor.com

TA is good now (eg either (1) didn't apply or they did (2) so changing password should be OK now.)

There has been no news from TA as of yet.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,344 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heartbleed

See post #7 on this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k7348782…

5. Re: Heartbleed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16