We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

Yes I know....it's almost impossible for TA to deal with each and every question like this that comes in by the thousands every day. My question though still... is there a TA link/address to report a property as suspect? Maybe TA has some type of process for this? (In regards to fake positive reviews) or best to just leave it be.

One property I have stayed at...Almost all the positives are by first time reviewers that go on about how "accommodating " the staff are. One positive review even slipped up and mentioned "our guests" .

There will be a month of 1 or 2 of horrible reviews on this property followed by a solid week of 5 star reviews from first time posters all in the same mannerism...same grammatical errors...grrrrrr

Ok I've vented.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

You can click on a review and report it as suspicious, you get a short text field, you can also post there are many similar and it seems to be a pattern.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

Hi

I am not really bothered about reviews from first time poster as we all have to start somewhere and many listings are now encouraging people to join TA and to submit reviews

As far as grammar is concerned not all people are submitting reviews written in their native tongue and well some people are not very good at spelling and/or grammar - that is life

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

Sometimes, we have to just let things be and hope that the average TA reader will have enough discernment to read 'between the lines'.

The ones that do not will duly appear on this forum telling us about how misleading the reviews were and demanding that TA force members to give them a credit card number as "proof" they are valid.... or some other such unworkable "solution".

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

Most importantly, are you ever going to stay there again?

I believe by vigilantly watching, you're really not standing to gain anything out of continuously reporting. Those that practice will inevitably continue to do so - which will become a tedious, frustrating and time consuming task for you in the long run.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

TripAdvisor says, "To report any potentially biased content, please click Report problem with review, located at the bottom of each review posted. Once reported, we will research the complaint within 48 hours, and apply any necessary penalties. Please include in your report any information that you feel may help us understand the situation. We appreciate the help from our tremendous community of loyal members."

…tripadvisor.com/articles/200615027-How-can-…

This makes it appear that TripAdvisor wants such reports. I am skeptical of the 48 hour claim. I wonder if TripAdvisor has an ignore function for members that make frequent reports. Please let us know if you see results from any report you might make, CFSUN. My guess is that although the reviews are suspicious, there is no way for TripAdvisor to determine whether they are fraudulent.

6. Re: Suspect positive reviews? Leave them be or report?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 05:16