We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

If you wish to report a post or poster, you have to click on "report inappropriate content". However, this only gives the choice of a number of headings. Every other forum I've been in allows a text field so that you...sorry.... one ... can amplify the reason.

What, for example, if one wanted to add an explanation on the lines of ..."this forum member may have over 35,000 posts, but that's just because he or she simply adds sarcastic, unhelpful, nasty comments on the end of threads. He or she adds absolutely nothing to the discussion".

How can that be expressed within the titles allowed?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

If you have a concern about a particular member, contact TA_Staff via the Help Center (tiny link at the bottom of the page.)

It doesn't really seem to matter which option you select for "Report inappropriate content." After an unspecified number of members have clicked any option for "Report inappropriate content" on a reply, it will be removed automatically.

If I feel a reply is sarcastic or nasty, then "Not Family Friendly" or "Harassment / Personal Attack" might be what I'd select.

Edited: 27 April 2014, 20:28
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

You can send a message like that through the Help Centre (tiny blue link at the bottom of each page.)

Help Centre > same in the pop up that appears > submit a Case > General Support.

>. How may we help you? Choose > Forums, messages, traveller articles

>. What would you like to do? choose > Help using the forums

A text box now appears. Paste the URL of the thread in question, identify the post # in question and write your explanation below. Submit.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

Thanks for the replies; I clicked on Help Centre (never noticed it before) but there's no "submit a case" option.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

Too late to edit, apparently.

I've just remembered that, a couple of weeks ago, an entire thread , started by me, was removed without warning. Who can cause things like that to happen? Although a number of posts were, in my opinion, abusive, I was preparing a polite reply, and found the thread had gone!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,126 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

Look at the top right of the Help Center page. You'll see Home > Submit a Case > Tripadvisor forums.

When members report the original post (the first post in a thread) as inappropriate, the thread remains headless for a little while then it is completely removed.

Silvia

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

Thanks for the replies; I clicked on Help Centre (never noticed it before) but there's no "submit a case" option.

------

It's a bit tortuous.

Help centre

Visit the help centre

Submit a case> general support

How can we help you

Forums .....

Help using the forums

...and then at last you can type in what you want.

If you choose another path you'll generally get a precanned answer and no ability to enter text

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,042 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

>>an entire thread , started by me, was removed without warning.<<

This happened to one of my threads. I sent a message to TA_Staff and asked why my thread was gone. I was told that there were so many disruptive / inappropriate replies that the thread was too fragmented (27 replies with only 4 or 5 left.) So they just removed the whole thing. It wasn't my question that was the problem at all.

Ask TA_Staff about your thread.

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

Thanks, I've found it. I was looking at the large headings down the left hand side, while I should have been looking at the small headings along the top right <g>,

9. Re: Why only headings under "report inappropriate content"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 07:15