We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Password Trouble

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Password Trouble

I want to change my account email address ( original one no longer works) to my new one. However, to do this I have to enter my password. Trouble is I can't remember my password!!! If I do a password reset, it sends the link to my old email address which as I said no longer works, therefore I cant reset the password. I tried sending in a ticket in the "help" section, but guess what, I have to log in with my old email address and password! Any help would be greatly appreciated

DOK

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Password Trouble

Hi DOK;

Respectfully, you must be logged-on to post the comments above. How did you manage that without entering your email address and TA password ?

Best Regards

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,442 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Password Trouble

could have logged in using facebook,not everyone wants to do this.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Password Trouble

I am permanently logged in. I have 2 forums saved as favourites on my toolbar, however, I am unable to receive email notifications ( e.g. someone replying to a question) as the notifications are sent to the old email address, that doesn't work anymore. That is the reason I want to change the email address but as I said, I am unable to do so. I'm caught in a Loop here. When I went through the "help" link, it redirected me to Tripadvisor.co.uk and at that time, because its technically another site, it asked me for my log in details ( which are essentially useless to me now ). I don't want to open another account as I will lose all the posts made previously. Again, any help will be gratefully appreciated

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Password Trouble

At various times I'm either on the .ca site (main site) but then I'm sometimes directed to the .uk or other times .com. Yes, I've had to log on a few times, especially with the password change. However, I've never lost posts or any of my information. As long as I'm signed in as Luckyfour (my only account), it's all there.

Regards,

L4

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Password Trouble

Thats fine L4 if you don't need to change any of your account details. I am unable to do so.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,551 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Password Trouble

Does this method (suggested by TA member MuftiMixandmatch ) work?

-------------

Look up to the top edge of this page "Your Trip Advisor."

Choose "Profile" from the drop down menu.

At the top left of the new page, beside your avatar and under your user name, click the words "Your TripAdvisor."

Choose "Account Settings."

Update your email address and "Save."

----------------

If not, I suppose you could create a new account and then contact TripAdvisor to combine the two accounts. Then you wouldn't lose your old contributions; they'd be part of the new member name/account.

But it sure seems like there should be an easier way. Hmmmm.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Password Trouble

I tried that Pacific, the trouble is when you click "save", at least in my case, I'm asked to input my password to verify lol! Your 2nd suggestion has a lot of merit, but I would like to confirm that TA will combine my 2 accounts ( current one and proposed new one) before I go ahead and do it.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,551 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Password Trouble

Are you unable to use the GeneralSupport page? I don't have to sign in again when I use it.

www.TripAdvisor.com/GeneralSupport

Open the text box on that page for "I want to combine two TA accounts." But don't create a second one you want to combine. Just tell TA_Staff what you need (a way to change your old e-mail address AND password at the same time.) That message will go to the correct TripAdvisor staff department.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Password Trouble

Just tried it. Need my email and password unfortunately. :-(

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Password Trouble

Many thanks for all the help, especially Pacificnw. I found out how to recover saved passwords from my browser so all is well that ends well. Thanks once again, Dok.