We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

I recently left a negative review after staying at 'Holiday Inn Express' in Redditch, Worcestershire and today (12th May 2014) received a 'signed for' letter from a hotel solicitor basically calling me a liar with a "very damaging and false review on tripadvisor" and later added "We are writing to formally request that you kindly remove your review within 72 hours to avoid further action being taken. Please confirm that you have done so by return".

Obviously i am concerned about this as I know my review of a bedbug encounter was a genuine and true account of our experience, and would swear by it in a court if it got that far.

Please advise on what to do next, thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,863 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

unless you have actual proof it was a beg bug you encountered then you should remove your review . You are speculating that you caught a bed bug. now unless you are a qualified entomologist and have actually contacted the local environmental health officer to get confirmation of the bed bug infestation then your review is not acceptable and can do great damage to that hotel.

I would remove your review,in fact many folk reading this thread will read your review (as I have done) and report your review because of the speculation in it.You may find your review will be removed anyway.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,123 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

Hi David;

>>"Please advise on what to do next, thanks."<<

This forum, like all the forums on TripAdvisor, is member driven, peer-to-peer assistance. It is NOT an effective way of contacting TA staff.

TA staff are easily identified by the prefix "TA" before their name, IE – TA Jack or TA Jill and the words “TripAdvisor Staff” below it.

Respectfully, what you should do next is something only you can decide. None of us on this forum, that I know of, are legal experts.

With that said...

Owners / managers are NOT to contact reviewers about the reviews of their accommodation, attraction or restaurant.

tripadvisor.com/help/businessrep_approached_…

Also, TripAdvisor does not condone owners / managers harassing, threatening, or bullying users about their reviews. To alert TA staff to this property’s behaviour, and express your concerns, you can use the “Contact Us” link in the Help Centre.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GeneralSupport

In the first pull down menu, select “Reviews”. In the second pull down menu, select “Question about the guidelines.

Best Regards

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,822 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

It would help you if you took photos of said bug.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,573 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

Do you know what a bed bug looks like? I don't, could have been anything...so it is a damaging review and personally I would remove it.

USA
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

Welcome to the forum, David C!

I would not risk legal action over a review I wrote for free even if I knew I would win a law suit. It is not worth the hassle. I try to remain anonymous on TripAdvisor and think it would be difficult for anyone to post a letter to me unless TripAdvisor provided information about me.

Norwich, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it. :)

Although I'm not an entomologist I am good at identifying certain bugs, especially bedbugs. I had put the trapped bug in a small resealable clear plastic bag and closely examined it and compared it to the many freely available bug photos on google images. The other guest I was with was also convinced it was a bedbug, based on how exactly it matched pictures. I have also watched many documentaries on insects, particularly bedbugs. I know it certainly doesn't make me an expert but I'm 100% convinced it was indeed a bedbug.

I agree it's probably best to remove my review, but will wait until I hear from TripAdvisor staff.

hoogo... anonymity would have been ideal but obviously the hotel knew who I was based on my experience of asking to be be moved rooms, and because I felt I have nothing to hide as my review was honest and genuine, and wasn't posted maliciously.... I just wanted other potential guests to be aware that I found (what I genuinely believe to be) a bedbug.

Cambridge, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

I would hope the hotel solicitor would read this thread and persuade his/her client to post something conciliatory. It won't do the hotel any good to be seen to be bullying a guest. If this really was a unique, inexplicable occurrence, the impact of the review will fade in due course. They would be crazy to start legal proceedings because then they would get far more adverse publicity about what had happened, and about the fact they were bullying you, and you might well win and they would have to pay your costs.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
703 posts
631 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

Hello David

Regarding the bed bug saga, I would think this is a bit a sabre rattling in the hope that a solicitor's letter will have the desired effect. This is not unusual. If you captured the bug (whatever it was) in a plastic bag, then presumably you showed it to the manager when you requested a room change to back up your complaint. You also had a witness. At any court case the manager would have to admit in evidence (unless he committed perjury) that he was shown a bug of some description, and that you did ask for a room change. They would be unlikely to win such a case simply on the basis that your specimen was not a bed bug but something else - say a flea or other unwelcome bug - as such a misidentification would not lessen any detriment or loss that may have suffered. (They may be hard pressed to quantify loss in any event).

On that basis I think that the hotel would be unlikely to take it further as the adverse publicity it would generate, even if it could have been a flea or other insect rather than a bed bug (and not to mention the costs of litigation), would be far more damaging than any review on TA that will gradually diminish in readership.

If you are worried about ther possibility that you might have wrongly identified the little biter, then you could always edit your review (deleted and resubmit amended version) by saying that you had to request a room change after being bitten by an insect, although you couldn't be sure whether it was a bed bug, flea or other

entomological intruder on your person!

Hope all ends well, and don't let it bug you!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,863 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

he was never" bitten" just had an encounter.

10. Re: Hotel threatening 'further action' against my review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17