We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't login while in China

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,098 posts
826 reviews
Save Topic
Can't login while in China

I always remained logged in so I did not notice this before but as I changed my password I had to log into my account. It continuously failed until I used my VPN. Same issue on both my laptop and iPad. Same with my girlfriend.

It might be related to Facebook which is blocked in China but neither of us is using FB so sign in.

When trying to sign in I get a page that say the my "search resulted in no results".

It worked eventually using my VPN but I thought I should let TA know (if they are reading this).

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,973 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't login while in China

That's interesting, Jean-Pierre. I'm wondering if TA domains are actually blocked in China, and that's why TA has a different domain for its Chinese website (http://www.daodao.com), which does not have the flags to change site has all other TA sites do.

Silvia

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,098 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't login while in China

I don't have any issue using TA, only login in. Even though I do not log in with Facebook.

It could also be a temporary bug as I very rarely log in so I never noticed it before (been here 2 months now).

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't login while in China

I'm curious as to which English language version of TA that you're trying to log onto? The Chinese forums (in English) are very active, so I don't think that they're blocked in China. At least looking at the geographic. location of some of the posters indicates that they're not.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,098 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't login while in China

TA is not blocked. I am in China and using it. It is about signing in. In am on the .com version.

I am on the China forum daily and most participants are not in China. And just like Facebook, even if it was blocked, it does not preclude someone with a little bit of tech knowledge to go around the censors.

5. Re: Can't login while in China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 06:16