We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Topic
Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

I was happy to contribute - free - my thoughts on places I had visited to Trip Advisor way back before 3 days ago, when I thought it was just a kind of a friendly place to give and get information.

Three - or four - days ago, I read of the Thirty Nine MILLIONS of dollars that this friendly little place to share information paid its CEO last year.

…morningstar.com/trading/…

More Power To You, Stevie ... just no longer on MY efforts.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,462 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

What did you think this website was...a charity ?

So what if the CEO earns $39 Million a year. It doesn't cost you anything to use the site.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

So going by that logic, you should pull every cent out of the bank you're currently using, sell your car, and any other big ticket item you have in your household - because the CEO's of those companies would get paid substantially too.

I'm not sure as to what exactly is your displeasure, but if you think that any substantial amounts of revenue is being generated as a direct result of member contributions, then you need to dig further into company financials.

Tell us that you haven't personally gained any information from this site - have you paid for that? Have you invested money on TA shares? If you had, then you have a say

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,462 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

While I too have an issue with CEO compensation, I don't see my contributions as enriching Mr. Kauffer but as a way of helping other members.

From the figure you mention ($39 million) most of it (38m) is in stock options, which could potentially be worthless at some point (or very valuable) depending of the price on the vesting date.

I would suggest that you send Mr. Kauffer a personal letter expressing your concern, address on this page:

tripadvisor.com/PressCenter-c6-About_Us.html

Silvia

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

Just editing your thread title;

“Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews, But Continue Reading Others' Contributions For My Benefit"

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,771 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

Well you had better giving up using loads of other website as the people who own them and or run them also earn loads of money

Better stop watching major sports such as golf, Fi, tennis, baseball, etc as all those players earn oodles of money as well

As has been said TA is free to use

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,331 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

I'd guess that Happy W feels they deserve some of that $39m for their contributions!

USA
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

I am in favor of anything you can do to bring some sense to executive compensation, Happy W.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

It isn't up to any of us to decide how much a CEO gets paid. That's called business. And freedom. What do you suggest he do with the money? By the way, I hope you're not a Chiefs or Royals fan. You'd be appalled how much those guys make. By the way, you never mention how you've been harmed by this.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 19:53
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

>>>By the way, I hope you're not a Chiefs or Royals fan<<<

Lol, especially the Royals. No CEO would earn that by going under .500 for the financial year.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just A Note As To Why I'll Be Posting No More Reviews ...

Until last year, we saw 20 years of that very thing here in Pittsburgh.

All kidding and baseball aside, though, I'm still hung up on how the CEO's paycheck has all of a sudden made TA an unfriendly place to get travel information. Perhaps I'm missing something.