We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duplicate posts

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Duplicate posts

I've recently began posting from my mobile device (iPhone 5) and the last three responses I put on to questions have all been duplicated. Any idea if it's something I'm doing wrong or is there a gremlin in the works?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,119 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duplicate posts

I've seen many duplicate posts recently but not sure what triggers it. Are you using the Tripadvisor app, the mobile site, or the full site in your iPhone?

You could report it directly via the Help Center, www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport Select Site & Features > Mobile app or site

Silvia

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,856 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duplicate posts

There does seem to have been an increase in duplicate and triplicate posts, it has been discussed before, there's some techy sounding explanations here. tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k6099…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duplicate posts

It is certainly from just your use of a mobile and not you pressing the button three times.

You can't actually post, normally, two identical posts AFAIK - I've certainly been bounced for trying that

So a TA system problem

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duplicate posts

While the apps are designed to prevent duplicate posts it clearly is not foolproof and needs be bolstered by some server side code to detect whether what the user is posting is identical to their previous post.

A server side duplicate post check might also help cut down on repeated Thank you posts from misunderstanding the Reply button in every post.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duplicate posts

Trying a duplicate post

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duplicate posts

Trying a duplicate post

It failed with a red box above saying it failed

Sent from a desktop PC - none of this not-so-smart phone nonsense

Edited: 01 June 2014, 18:59
7. Re: Duplicate posts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:16