We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing website country

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Changing website country

I am currently in the UK and will be travelling elsewhere in Europe. My log in is via the US website, but I keep getting taken to the UK one and have to change it every time I want to post. It's a pain. How do I stop it doing that? I am on an iPad and using the Mercury browser.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,175 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing website country

I don't know if this is the same thing, but sometimes I am transported to another version of TA. I have to simply change the flag in the top right corner to the version I want. But, sometimes, and I have to pay attention, there is a message in green, different looking printing across the top left edge of the screen. It says something like "You are on www.tripadvisor.ca. Would you like to go to www.tripadvisor.com?" So I click on the .com one (my preferred version) and after that it behaves itself. Until the next time I am somehow transported to .co.uk or .com.au or .....

That's as far as my thoughts and experience take me.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing website country

Thanks and yes, those are issues I am aware of. It's just annoying that every time I open a new TA page on the iPad I get take back to the UK site, for which I am not registered! Maybe I will have to use the TA app, although I am not a fan. But it does seem to keep me logged on. So far anyway.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing website country

When we travel to the Caribbean and log onto TA it takes me to .com instead of .co.uk but I have no issues with that

When you register with TA you register with just that TA and not a particular server on TA

What problems does it cause you being on .co.uk

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing website country

Every time I want to post I have to remember to switch back to .com. It is easy to forget to do so and then I have sometimes lost what I have typed. I am going to use the iOS app from now on, to see if that keeps me on .com, wherever I am. I travel a lot, so it's a pain otherwise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,175 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing website country

Why don't you just sign in on .co.uk? I'm signed in on more than one version, not a problem. Your user name and email sign in is good on any version. When I am ready to sign out I do.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing website country

ALL of the TA sites share a common user data base and you can sign on to any of the country variants with the same userid and password and post from any site.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,056 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing website country

Looks like Sister Mary C just created an account today to spam the forums with nonsense about people and Mexican food.

8. Re: Changing website country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:15