We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

I think that I do understand the fundamental principles behind the TripAdvisor ranking system. Also, with any ranking algorithm there are bound to be some results that on the surface may seem quirky, but when viewed is more general terms such as upper quartile versus lowest quartile, most results seem to make comparative sense. With that said, I would like to understand how restaurants that have been CLOSED 12, 18, or 24 months can continue month after month to be ranked above more than half of the still open restaurants in a large metropolitan area? How many months does it take for the ranking of a CLOSED restaurant to start moving down towards the bottom? Or does a ranking once earned live on in perpetuity?

USA
Level Contributor
7,010 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

Does TripAdvisor list these restaurants as closed? The few restaurants I know of that TripAdvisor marks as closed do not have a ranking. A couple of examples:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37816-d49…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g36382-d10…

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,452 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

The rankings are updated weekly, and no, closed restaurants should not be ranked above those that are open, unless open restaurants are not being reviewed and closed restaurants (not yet marked CLOSED) are still receiving reviews of guests that visited while open and don't know it is closed.

Could you give an example of where you see this happening?

Silvia

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

Are the listing marked as CLOSED in the title line?

Listings marked as closed should not be ranked but if they not flagged as such TA has not yet recognized they are closed.

You can report a restaurant closed using the 'update restaurant details' link but TA can be abysmally slow in acting on a report - they seem fastest when incorrectly marking open restaurants Closed.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

Reading the initial responses in this forum and also perusing a number of other forums I have come to the conclusion that TripAdvisor does not intentionally rank closed restaurants above those that are open. The following four examples caused me to ask my original question... but in each case I now conclude that the problem is probably the length of time it takes for the TripAdvisor business process to ensure that a restaurant is actually closed before it is moved down to the list of closed restaurants:

1.) Ferraro's Italian Restaurant, Bradenton FL

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60786-d24…

This restaurant was reported closed a couple of months ago. TripAdvisor already lists and ranks the new restaurant which is now located at that address, but has not yet accepted that the previous restaurant is actually closed.

2.) Beck's Cafe, Bradenton FL

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60786-d31…

This restaurant was reported closed more than a year ago. As for example #1, TripAdvisor already lists and ranks the new restaurant which is now located at that address, but has not yet accepted that the previous restaurant is actually closed.

3.) Brasserie Belge, Sarasota FL

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34618-d20…

This restaurant closed 20 months ago. I am fairly certain that I went through the process of reporting it closed about a year ago. No new restaurant operating in that location, which may be why TripAdvisor has not yet accepted that Brasserie Belge is closed.

4.) Gold Dynasty Restaurant, Sarasota FL

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34618-d14…

To be fair, this restaurant only closed some 4 or 5 months ago, and no new restaurant is operating at that location. So again, it may just be a matter of time

Bottom line, from my perspective, I am ready to close this topic. The ranking process does work for closed restaurants, i.e, they are NOT ranked... when TripAdvisor accepts that the restaurants are actually closed and moves them down to the list of closed restaurants.

Jaco, Costa Rica
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

In Jaco, Costa Rica there are many restaurants that have closed and new a restaurant have opened and closed and another has opened. All the restaurants that are closed are still ranked higher than ones doing the best business. TripAdvisor gets paid and they are showing FALSE and damaging information, it should be easy if no one gives a response in nine months most likely the restaurant is closed, SIMPLE. i have the same restaurant for twelve years.

A list of restaurants that have CLOSED

DRIFWOOD

POPAUUEST JA OSTRA

SEASIDE DINER

BUBBAS on BOHIO

MARISQUESTA LA OSTRA

BROWN BOX

ROBBLEMAR never was a restaurant it is a hotel

L'ESPERANZA

LA PERLA NIGRA not even in Jaco

YIN XING

BINKY'S

CHAMPS

JACO BELL

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,560 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

>>"TripAdvisor gets paid..."<<

Hi danwells27;

Restaurant listings are free.

Reviews depreciate over time so an older review, good or bad, does not factor in as much as a newer one. It's not just a simple mathematical average of all the review’s ratings. Also, users have up to 12 months to submit a review of their experience, so even though the restaurant has closed, it may still be getting reviewed.

Best Regards

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

How did you report the restaurants as being closed, SRQwanderer? Simply posting a "closed" review usually won't do it. Using the handy dandy "Update restaurant details" link on the listing usually won't do it.

I find that it takes about 2-3 weeks or sometimes a bit longer for restaurants that I report to be moved down to the bottom of the list and marked closed. Outside the USA and Canada it may take longer.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,392 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

SRQwanderer ~ Those restaurants have not been reported closed. Someone has just submitted a review saying they are closed.

It takes someone actually using the Help Centre to send a message to TA, with supporting documentation to show it has closed: maybe pointing out that the website in the listing is dead, maybe Googling the place will bring up a reliable publication about the place being closed. I used Google maps recently to show the restaurant was closed and another was in its place. TA will not "CLOSE" a property on the say so of someone. I could cause a lot of havoc for businesses if I just sent in a message saying this place and that place is closed, and TA then acted on my casual, informal mention.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

Hello half-brit, you guessed right, in each of the four cases I used the handy "Update restaurant details" link on the listing. For a couple of them I did so on more than two occasions, spaced 2 weeks apart. And when that did not work I finally posted a review saying closed.

What procedure / link do you use to get the attention of TripAdvisor to get closure results? .

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
30 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TripAdvisor Rankings of Closed Restaurants

Thank you for your suggestion. What link on the Help Page do you use to send all of the recommended information to TripAdvisor?