We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2016, 15:00
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,865 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

I'm gonna firmly sit on the fence. So it's a yes and no from me

No, everyone had their right to speak - freedom of speech blah blah blah that I'm not going to get into - and it's the world in which we live. It's a self serving survival of the fittest.

Yes, whilst people like to look at this whole thing, and naively believe that review sites - in general - isn't being used as a social media weapon to ruin some poor business. And this is what's probably going to get my post removed - TA is more likely to treat the businesses that register and 'play by their rules', far better than those who don't. An example of this occurs frequently here, when reviewers are contacted by the businesses. And TA's rule says that's not permitted and of you don't stick by that, we will slap a red triangle on your business listing until you...you got it, play by their rules. It's effectively no different from owners bullying reviewers is it not?

So, it's a 50/50 argument, and not an unreasonable topic of contention.

People always talk about level playing fields, I for one don't see it. And a good starting point would be for TA to make their 'rating' (very loose term) transparent. So that it may dispel and put and end to ridiculous guessing games and hugely inaccurate reflection of property/product standings. That way maybe the forum regulars won't keep saying the "popularity index" should be taken with a truckload of salt.

Anyways, enough from the bleachers.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 17:38
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,912 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

I have brought this up a few times in discussion on this forum . I do believe that when TA lists a property that they should be obliged to contact that property to tell them they are being listed and that there may be reviews of the property on the website.

they should also be informed of the management forum and how to manage their listings ,this could also be an opportunity for TA to offer enhance listings and tweak a few $$$$$ from said property.

I feel that if a property does not want listings then they should be able to opt out if they so wish.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,865 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

Much more eloquently worded than my garbled mess. Well said unclegus +1

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,912 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

a scientific mind and sobriety can work wonders.

As to the ratings ,I have asked for them to be completely removed many times and just let the reviews stand on their own , but it is TA's website and they can run it as they see fit , it is up to us to use or believe whatever parts of it we want ,unfortunately many business owners do not have that option.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,733 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

How exactly do you inform a business that they have been listed on TA? If their website has an email address, that makes contacting them easy - except that there is an excellent chance that TA's email will end up in a junk email folder. If the website has no email address (and many don't), what then? Too bad so sad?

Sending a notification will suggest to some that they have the right to ask not to be listed, but that simply isn't true.

I strongly agree that TA's popularity index ranking should be more transparent. When I go to the Better Business Bureau site, I see businesses that are rated from A+ to F. For each business, BBB explains the factors that went into that rating. (They do not, however, get more detailed than that, for example saying "We awarded Acme Widgets 15 points because they have been in business for more than 25 years.") I see no reason why TA can't do the same. I'd be even happier if they removed the bleeping popularity index ranking entirely.

But I'm not holding my breath.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

Expanding on the OP's idea, the lousiest properties would then request to be removed or not listed. The travelling public would then fall victim to these unscrupulous business'.

No thank-you.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,912 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

the travelling public can still make a choice regarding properties not listed on TA.

they can decided if TA is the website they can trust and make the decision to use or not to use any properties not listed on TA.

Picton
Level Contributor
526 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

It's only a matter of time in Europe that you'll be able to demand your listing be deleted. They're already pushing it through for personal information stored on Google.

Europe doesn't like US tech very much.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

Agree with post # 8 - What did we all do before the internet and review sites? We went with our gut feeling or on word of mouth, served us all for years then.

However, with reviews being the staple of TA's business it will be interesting to see what will happen.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Businesses Who Did NOt Ask to be listed should not be listed

Yes we went with our gut instincts...And sometimes got burned. Now we get burned less often. If they pass a law prohibiting hyperbole in advertising, then I'd consider limiting reviews.