We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unable to login using Firefox

New Carrollton, MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Unable to login using Firefox

I'd like to know if anyone else is having difficulty logging in to TA using Firefox. I am on Firefox 28 because I started having numerous problems with Firefox 29 following the upgrade (mostly problems with the Firefox process still running after closing the browser), so I reverted back to a previous version. The TA top of screen hyperlinks are completely unresponsive (Join, Log In, Facebook, currency and country selectors). Additionally, graphics are poorly displayed (missing carousel images, traveler photos missing). I am running Windows 7, Firefox 28 and IE 11. The only way I am able to get to TA is by using IE 11, which I prefer not to use. Firefox is set to delete all cookies and temporary files upon closure, but I really don't think this problem is related to cookies or temporary files. I updated all my Firefox Add-ons to current versions, but am having no success with Firefox. Have any changes been made to TA that don't work well with Firefox? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unable to login using Firefox

This response is being typed in Firefox 29.0.1, with Windows 8.1 so I've haven't got your problem - I have much the same set up with clearing history, cookies and so forth so can't help identify the issue - sorry.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unable to login using Firefox

Do you have Javascript updated and enabled?

New Carrollton, MD
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unable to login using Firefox

JavaScript is enabled by default in Firefox. If you enter "about:config" (without quotes) into the Firefox address bar, accept the "I'll be careful" warning, and then search on "javascript.enabled" (no quotes) you will be able to determine the status of JavaScript in your browser configuration. Mine is enabled. I also updated Shockwave Flash to version 14.0.0.125 (latest currently available). There is no such thing as updating JavaScript. You can update the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). Unsure if TA requires JRE, I went ahead and installed the latest version to no avail. The same symptoms are still happening. As a side note, JRE is prone to multiple security vulnerabilities and you're probably better off without it installed on your computer if you really don't need it. I'm going to uninstall it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,404 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unable to login using Firefox

I'm using Firefox 30.0 and Win 7, no problem logging out & then back in again.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unable to login using Firefox

No, TA does not require Java.

6. Re: Unable to login using Firefox

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:17