We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

In March I posted a review of a pub in Gosforth, Newcastle where I had exceptionally bad service.

Other people were also bemoaning the service and when I looked in May there were 8 bad reviews since November. Then overnight all those reviews disappeared, including mine.

Since then 2 further reviews have disappeared. Each time they are one star or two star reviews. The result is that the Tripadvisor review for this pub appears much better than it deserves to be.

What I'm asking is, does Tripadvisor monitor misuse of the owner complaint system, as is happening here? Is there any way that Tripadvisor can rectify the situation and return the reviews?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,973 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

Every time that an owner complains about a review, Tripadvisor staff takes a look and if it complies with the review guidelines, it stay. I'm a owner with a listed business on TA. I can promise you that there is no way for an owner to make reviews disappear just because they're bad.

But if Tripadvisor can verify that a ton of good or bad reviews are organized boosting (such as a competitor paying to post bad reviews of someone else's business), yes, that's against the review guidelines and the reviews would be taken down.

Silvia

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,959 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

When people have a poor experience somewhere, they may be angry when they write their reviews. It is fairly easy to inadvertently violate the review guidelines when upset.

Savvy business owners know "the rules" backwards and forwards and if there is anything not in accordance with TA's guidelines, they will report the review. Also, any TA member can report any review for not following the guidelines.

Do you have a copy of your review? If so, you can post it here and perhaps we can help see what it was that caused it to be removed.

At a guess, since you say all the poor reviews were bemoaning the service, it's possible that they made inappropriate remarks about the staff. But that's just a guess.

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

Thank you for your responses.

It baffles me that 10 separate reviews could each have violated the guidelines. The only thing in common between the reviews was the rating of one star (although most of them did object to bad service).

I guess I should start copying the bad reviews with a view to posting them up here if they also surprisingly go missing.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,810 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

I would think you could probably make a case for a great majority of the reviews from five stars to one star violate one guideline or another, but the proprietors only have incentive to point out any breaches in the case of the poor ones.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,506 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

Did all their reviews prior to a certain date vanish and only very recent ones show? If the pub was sold , the new owner can show the sales documents to TA and they would remove all reviews under the prior ownership to let the new owner start with a clean slate, which is what may have happened.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

The following are just general comments and aren't intended to be specific to the situation you're describing.

I've read the review guidelines, I don't know how many times. While you may have done this yourself, I continue to refer to them. As half-Brit says, it's easy to violate the reviews if someone is upset (personal insults, "No second-hand information or hearsay (unverified information, rumors, or quotations from other sources or the reported opinions/experience of others)", no quoting from other reviews, etc.

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

Also, occasionally reviewers will threaten a business saying that if they don't receive "X", they will leave a bad review. This is a violation: "TripAdvisor will not publish reviews written in an attempt to obtain money or services from a property owner, in exchange for withholding or offering to remove a negative review.". If a business contacts TA to report a blackmail attempt, when a matching review is published, it will be taken down.

There may also have been positive reviews taken down; if a reviewer is sent a verification email and doesn't respond, this can also be a reason.

Regards,

L4

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,883 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

It's more likely that someone who feels they have had a negative experience will post emotionally, in the heat of the moment, and not even realise that they have violated the guidelines. Add in the fact that owners are highly unlikely to report a very good review for violations and I consider it unsurprising that so many one dot reviews have disappeared.

One recent removed review apparently contained an allegation of fraud, for example, as well as being of a multi day experience, which isn't allowed anyway.

8. Re: Proprietor removing 10 one star reviews in 3 months.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:17