We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expedia

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
203 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Expedia

Is there no way we can get some sort of review of booking agencies! Last year I booked some of our holiday hotels with Agoda, and would very much have liked to give them an excellent rating for how they handled our booking I Chiang Mai.

This year we booked our accommodation in Dubrovnik with Expedia and would like to warn other unwary travellers against the fact that I received a confirmation from them assuring me that our hotel was paid in full (including taxes) only to find that no payment had been made to the hotel and we were required to pay the hotel directly and a tourist tax was levied (quite legitimately by the hotel) on top of the rate confirmed by Expedia! It was embarrassing, aggravating and lucky that we had the means by which we could meet the accommodation bill on checkout. I will never use Expedia again!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Expedia

TA don't accept reviews for booking agencies, travel agencies etc.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Expedia

Ladymayb, it's been suggested many times that TA should allow reviews of booking agencies and travel agencies, but they have shown no signs of introducing such a feature. I can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,486 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Expedia

Hi Ladymayb ~

I'm sure you have also learned to check with the hotel about your reservation long before the moment of checking out. Keep your travel self interest in mind by doing the necessary (and holiday saving) due diligence about your reservations, no matter who you book with. Flights with airlines, bookings direct with hotels, bookings through OTAs. (Online Travel Agencies). Check arrangements more than once actually, especially flights.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 23:54
4. Re: Expedia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 11:05
Edited: 07 September 2014, 11:05
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Expedia

I suspect TA is not interested in allowing reviews of booking agencies because the overwhelming percentage of reviews would be from those unhappy with the service, even if it is their own fault. There would be a lot of *rants*, masquerading as "reviews".

Just as with car rentals (which TA also does not accept) , when a person does not read the Terms and Conditions, they may be in for a rude awakening. There is such a thing as personal responsibility, as described in post #3.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Expedia

>>>after I checked in with the hotel, they actually did indeed have internet included in the tariff<<<

Why not do this in the first place, rather than checking with the middleman?

In regards to the OP, unfortunately, the hotel has either made a mistake or lied to them. Expedia use a Virtual Credit Card system, where a one time use CC number is issued ON the reservation document.

W W
Freycinet, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Expedia

That's sort of a funny kind of logic. Book with the middle man then check with the end company when one has a query. Seems like that's the prudent thing to do as suggested by some of the responses above as well as by my own experience. Lesson learnt for the uninitiated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Expedia

You're quite right about the absurdity of the situation, and I understand. However whilst the situation in its entirety does involve Expedia, the circumstances actually have two separate purposes. To clarify -

When making a reservation, you've opted for use of an established third party for numerous benefits, whether it be discounted rates, meta search etc. However when needing to clarify property specific information, the necessity to re-utilise the third party is overwhelmingly reduced.

Edited: 07 September 2014, 11:22
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,388 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Expedia

Edit timeout -

To delve further, third parties are a little hamstrung by the fact they rely entirely on the information provided by the hotel on their extranet site. In other words, they can only ever be an 'enquiry platform', in that they still need to verify the information with the hotel, then get back to the consumer.

One thing that many consumers do not realise is that information such as hotel descriptors, facilities and services listed, can be updated by the hotel in a matter of minutes. Whereas enquiries can take quite some time and it's at the mercy of the hotels' efficiency.

So often, it's the hotel that is the much greater evil of the two, but the broader public takes out their frustrations on their initial point of contact.

10. Re: Expedia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 06:17