We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
623 reviews
Save Topic
Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

Links to hotels and offers have been showing up in between forum posts all of a sudden.

I have adblock plus and don't know why this is suddenly happening. I never saw them before.

Has something changed?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,759 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

Another user mentioned this yesterday as well

I have not seen any yet so it has either not been rolled out on on the server I am linked to or my add blocker is working

See link below to the other thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k76334…

Edited: 17 July 2014, 23:25
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,438 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

It doesn't sound as though these are snippets which have been thumbnail links within a post, and only to attractions.

But hotels and offers showing up between posts is a new phenomenon. I hope TA have not introduced a new type of snippet: Evil Snippet 2! Because it will really be like the sequel to a bad movie.

Do you have the latest version of AdBlock Plus installed?

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

>Do you have the latest version of AdBlock Plus installed?

Yes.

I wrote further info on the link which I was given above - I'm copying my reply there, here - but perhaps someone has the ability to connect these two threads?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k7633405…

Here's what I said there:

"I have Adblock Plus, the best blocker I know of on Firefox, but these little hotel suggestions between every 2 or 3 forum posts are very very annoying and are not being blocked.

I just updated my ABP but it didn't fix anything.

How do we get rid of this and make it stop. I don't care about TA suggestions for hotels in places I've already been."

I received a reply there suggesting I start another thread with a specific topic to alert TA to the problem. I don't know if the topic here is sufficient. I could start another thread but I'd just be repeating myself.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

I do have ad blockers and I'm hoping that I never see what you are talking about. Love the line about "evil snippet 2".

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

It was suggested on the other thread that I c&p this comment of mine and bring it here. So, here it is:

If I were able to attach a screen shot here I could show you what I'm seeing if it were to occur again. For example, in a thread if someone asks about Nara , then in between reply 1 and 2, there was an item stating this " Travelers interested in this topic also viewed...

Super Hotel Lohas JR Nara-eki

Show Prices

Super Hotel Lohas JR Nara-eki

#1 of 30 hotels in Nara..." with a link to the review and a show prices button.

In fact, further down in the thread the very hotel IS mentioned with a link given to the review within the reply, but what I'm seeing are these separate entries for hotel links.

These are not the snippets within the reply saying something like "One destination mentioned in this post Nara..." with a link.

This is an hotel link, plan and simple and very disruptive to reading through the thread.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

When the TA 'powers that be' get an idea, they often try it out on some of us unwitting volunteer posters without saying a word about it. The thing is, that only *some* of the posters see the latest whiz-kid idea.

There used to be an ad within the forums... after about post #4 or so I think? They were sandwiched between posts. Most of us hated them, and eventually TA decided they ought to go away. Yay! Hooray!

But . . . then TA decided to give us *Evil Snippets*.

Our worst forum nightmare.

The most HORRIBLE, AWFUL idea TA ever had. (IMO)

I hope this isn't Evil Snippets 2...a really BAD sequel to a really BAD movie.

Ugh!

It would be great if a TA staff member popped in here.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 01:49
Vermont
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

Jeanine from TA replied on the other thread: tripadvisor.com/…59868440

And the good news is, I complained there and today the intervening links for hotels are not showing up for me - maybe they just took me off the tester recipient list, but for the moment I am back to status quo ante.

(I wish I could get someone to combine these two threads.)

I hope it's OK with Jeanine for me to copy her TA support staff's reply from the other thread - here it is:

15. Re: "Watch this topic"

Jul 18, 2014, 10:08 PM

Hi everyone,

Apologies for popping in late due to being out for a few days. Our site editors are testing a feature that adds links to relevant hotels inbetween forum posts. Only a small percentage of users should be currently seeing this feature. We appreciate your feedback and have passed it to the team in charge of this test.

Best Regards,

Jeanine

TA Staff

lincoln
Level Contributor
839 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

Its back on mine again !!!!!!! Personally I hate it-is that enough feedback Trip advisor -there is NOTHING good about this(and I don't shout on forums)

Edited: 19 July 2014, 18:22
Vermont
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

Oh dear - I am so sorry to hear that.

I'm still clean, today but...

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
15,464 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up

Hate these extras appearing. It's really annoying to be trying to read a conversation/information thread & most of the screen is full of stuff I don't want to see - takes forever to keep scrolling down through a thread that has a lot of short posts. TA is becoming less & less attractive & I am spending less time here because of all this intrusion. And I bet I am not the only one!