We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review Keeps Getting Declined

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Review Keeps Getting Declined

How can I get more information on specific reasons as to why one of my reviews keeps getting declined? I've submitted the review twice, the second time I edited out what I guessed might be the issue and it was declined again. I tried contacting TripAdvisor directly thought the support form and got the exact same canned response 3 times:

"Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry, but we won't be able to publish it. TripAdvisor does not post reviews about multi-day tours, tour guides, travel agencies, online booking sites, retail stores, vacation rental properties , multi-day cruise tours, or airlines. Please note, we do accept reviews of private vacation rentals that are already listed on TripAdvisor. If you have reviewed a vacation rental that is not yet listed on the site, we are unable to accept your review at this time."

I'm not aware of my review violating anything listed above. How can I talk to a person to get specific information as to why my review was declined so that I can fix it?

Thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

Hi livinthe80s;

TripAdvisor does NOT offer one-on-one support for its general users.

If you post your review on this forum. perhaps one of us with years of experience using this website, can spot the problem for you.

Best Regards

Edited: 18 July 2014, 06:15
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,095 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

Is there a listing currently in TA? Can you post a link to it? Maybe post the link to the website too of what you are trying to review.

USA
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

Welcome to the forum, ivinthe80s. I am sorry that TripAdvisor staff members rarely comment on this forum. Are you submitting a review for the property just after requesting a new listing? If so, TripAdvisor may be refusing your review because they have refused to list the property. I would wait to write a review until TripAdvisor has listed the property.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

Hi all,

Thanks for the input and quick replies. My review WAS originally posted, but then taken down. It's for the Hanalei Bay Resort (tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g60626-d114037-R…), so an established property. Here is the modified review that was declined. It's quite lengthy, but we wanted it to be thorough:

"Below Average Unit 8232

We stayed in this condo for our honeymoon on Kauai after spending some time in a comparable condo on Maui, and wanted to share our experience.

General Location / Hanalei Bay - First off, a comment on general location for those who haven’t been to Kauai before (this aspect doesn’t have any impact on our rating, since it’s not directly related to the condo itself). Hanalei Bay is perfect if you’re looking for a secluded getaway, don’t mind unpredictable weather and/or rain, and don’t need many restaurants, shops, etc. The problem is that it’s pretty much at the end of Kauai’s one main road, so to go anywhere or do anything else on the island, you’re looking at a drive. Sometimes a long drive. And there’s not much up there, which means that if you want to do stuff, you’ll need to drive a lot. If we came back, we would stay in the Poipu area - its central location makes it easy to take a trip north to Hanalei Bay or west to the canyon; there’s way more variety around there in terms of shops, restaurants, etc.; and the weather is much nicer down there - consistently sunny, as many tourists probably expect of Hawaii.

And now, about the condo.

The Resort - First off, we weren’t informed that both the lobby and restaurant are undergoing renovations, and are therefore closed. Not a huge deal with the lobby, but it makes the arrival less dramatic, as the current lobby is in a converted condo unit. But having no restaurant sucks. It means no drinks at the pool, and no quick place to grab drinks or a meal in the evening without driving. That said, the staff at the resort is great, and even though the condo is far from the parking lot, you can call for a golf cart ride at any time.

Resort Fees - When we checked out, we were surprised to be hit with a daily resort fee. The owner never mentioned this in the ad or in any correspondence with us. In every other condo we’ve rented, the owner includes all fees in the rental price, so we don’t see how much of the payment might be going to resort fees, condo fees, etc. This was especially insulting since the restaurant wasn’t even open, so we basically paid for pool use and towels.

Responsiveness - Communicating with the owner was a bit hit and miss. After paying our initial deposit, we discovered that some of the buildings in the resort were having work done on their roofs. We were concerned that this would be noisy, so we emailed the owner asking about it (he hadn’t told us about the construction earlier). We had to follow up several times before we got a response. And as mentioned, he didn’t reply at all to the email about the resort fees. In other matters (including during our stay), he replied very quickly, so it may not be an issue for everyone, but we had mixed results.

Roaches - There are at least two or three huge red cockroaches that we saw in the condo while we were there. They were hanging out in the kitchen under the washing machine, and would come out at night. We emailed the owner about them, and he told us he’d have the place sprayed, so hopefully it’s been resolved, but just noting what we saw. We understand that in a climate like that, it’s hard to keep everything out of the house, but if you look between the fridge and the washing machine, you can see that it’s quite dirty. Which leads to our next point.

Cleanliness - The condo felt like it was just surface cleaned. It wasn’t dirty per se, but things like light switches and remotes definitely needed to be wiped down. Not what we’d expect for hundreds of dollars a night.

Usability - The condo just isn’t very well appointed. The place we stayed at in Maui had everything - kitchen supplies (including extras), first aid supplies, a little cooler for day trips, extra blankets and pillows, soaps in the bathroom, etc. This one has some stuff, but is missing a lot of stuff that most condo renters need: a baking sheet, tin foil, clean sponges, basic first aid supplies, hand soap, etc. Adding these for guests would make the place feel much more welcoming. There are some beach supplies, but the closet they’re stored in really stinks - maybe someone threw wet stuff in there and just shut the door. Again, the place just felt like it could use a good clean.

Noise - Per the description, the condo is sort of two units combined, separated by an adjoining door. We rented the bigger one, and were surprised to find that we could completely hear the neighbors next door (and they could probably hear us). We put a towel down at the bottom of the door, but could still hear them. Luckily the people beside us were fairly quiet, but we’re guessing this isn’t always the case, so if you’re not renting both sides, beware. The roosters in the morning are quite noisy too, but we can’t fault the condo for that, because that’s just Kauai.

Privacy - Because of the layout, the deck of the neighboring unit can see directly into the master bedroom of this condo. So if you want to have the blinds open at night to enjoy the breeze, you may also wake up to your neighbors watching you sleep (I doubt this would happen, but it was a tad unsettling to think about).

Summary - Overall, we felt this unit was way overpriced for what it offered. Take a look at some of the other condos at this resort - there are some newly renovated ones available for much less. In our opinion, you can get much better value for your money. And if you’re looking for a sunny Hawaiian vacation with a lot of variety, consider moving your search south and checking out Poipu."

Thanks again for the feedback.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,095 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

3 observations, right or wrong, from me.

One is put the comments about the Location at the end. TA's pesky autofilters may have picked up the first paragraph as "not a personal experience" because this paragraph does not talk about the resort, but around the resort. But it does not fit the scenario that your review was posted, then taken down. Usually the "not a personal experience" thing is caught before publishing.

The roaches. TA and bugs (bed or roaches) do not live well together. IMO, and only IMO, reviews that mention bugs are given a rougher ride than ones that do not.

Not sure about the comparison with other resorts comments. "The place we stayed at in Maui ...." I know these are in lots of reviews, (along with comparison comments to other reviews, which are not permitted), but a review is meant to describe our experience at the one place, on its own merit. If the owners have a vested interest in their property, they know the review guidelines inside and out and won't hesitate to use them to report a review as inappropriate.

Aside from these borderline observations, I find nothing untoward about your review.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,147 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

I wonder if mentioning that it is a specific condo implies that it is a vacation rental (according to TripAdvisor.) If you rented it directly from the property, try calling it a "unit" or "suite" instead of a "condo."

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

Hmm, good tip. I know there are reviews for other specific units, but maybe the whole "condo" thing is a flag for them.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,095 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

Good catch, Pacific.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

Thanks MuftiVancouver, I didn't notice your post above and just read through it. Good tips as well! We do have a pic of the roaches, so maybe I'll add that in. I really want to leave that part of the review in because it was a BIG deal. Thankfully I didn't see them and my husband managed to keep them a secret until we left.

I'll move the location thing to the end and maybe remove the comparisons to the Maui condo as well.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,939 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Review Keeps Getting Declined

My thought is that this is a vacation rental:

>> Unit 8232<<

>>condo<< ...repeatedly...

>>The owner never mentioned this in the ad<<

>> the owner includes all fees in the rental price<<

>> We emailed the owner about them <<

That's not "hotel" language ;-)

And yes, put the location info at the bottom.