We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews and Contributions

Astana, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews and Contributions

Hi,

I'm curious as to what is the difference between a "Review" and a "Contribution."

I have rated and left comments on dozens of restaurants, hotels, and attractions. Yet every time I write a review, I get a little window telling me that I've done 6 reviews and it's only Y until my next badge. In fact, sometimes X grows as I make reviews, but then when I go to another city, it is back to 6.

In my profile I notice that it says I've made 52 contributions (that is about what I would think for reviews) and 6 reviews. If I click a city that I've visited I can see the many places that I (think I) have reviewed. I left a rating and comments, is this different than a review? Do other travelers see those comments?

It isn't a big deal at all. But I leave those reviews to help other travelers, so if they aren't seeing them I won't bother.

Thanks!

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews and Contributions

Hi there:

Your contributions now list 53 which is comprised of 10 forum posts, 37 ratings and 6 reviews. A rating is completely different to a review If you have visited an attraction, restaurant or hotel you really need to write a review. Personally I do not bother with ratings, they are rather pointless IMHO.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,486 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews and Contributions

I too see zero point in the standalone ratings

Astana, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews and Contributions

Thanks for this. It is interesting and enlightening. I see now the difference in how TA keeps track. I'm not sure I get the point though, if I give a score and some comments, why wouldn't I want that to be a review. Anyway, I know now what to do in the future.

I don't suppose there's an easy way to turn ratings into reviews?

Thanks again!

Astana, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews and Contributions

Sorry to keep at this, just trying to get my head around how things work.

Do the comments posted with a rating go anywhere? Can I see the comments I've left previously? I can see a list of my ratings, but none of the comments.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,342 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews and Contributions

Nobody knows where the ratings go. People do not see the comments. They can see the dots for the location in your profile though. Reviews go on the listings and they share hopefully good information about your stay so that others can benefit.

The ratings are like the "Trending Now" number in the green menu bar up top. No one knows what they are there for.

From the Help Centre: your "number of contributions [are] (your total reviews, ratings, photos, videos, forum posts, trip lists, and traveler articles)"

And no! there is no easy way to turn ratings into reviews. But if you can see your comments for your ratings, you could copy them and then go to the listing and paste them into the review text box. They would then become a review, but only if your visit was within the past 12 months. You can also ask your ratings to be removed which might be a good idea for the ones you decide to write reviews for.

Here's how you remove a rating: https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

EDIT: Okay, you've just answered the question about not being able to see the comments for your ratings.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 11:44
Astana, Kazakhstan
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews and Contributions

OK. Thanks for all the help. Even if I don't totally get it I'm glad to know I'm not missing something obvious.

7. Re: Reviews and Contributions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:15