We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripadvisor.ca

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tripadvisor.ca

I started having problems getting to some specific country forums and I'm wondering if this is common. If I type Guyana, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, and certain other countries into the search box I only get the forum for the capital cities of these countries and not the country forum.

I am able to get to them but only by first doing a Google search for the specific forum which is kind of annoying. Any suggestions?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripadvisor.ca

Click on 'Jump to a more specific forum'.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripadvisor.ca

Hi Hans,

To me that doesn't seem to make much sense. "Jump to a more specific forum" should be an option after I search a country shouldn't it? Either way, I don't have that as an option but if I type Azerbaijan as an example I get Baku and below that under the heading "did you mean" I can click on "See all location results for "azerbaijan" (66)". This gets me to what I was looking for.

However, Azerbaijan was my query to begin with so why not take me directly there and then have the option to search for specific areas within the country if I want to? And why is this only a problem for certain countries and not others?

Can someone please let me know if this is also happening to TA websites in other parts of the world or is it just on the .ca website? And finally, how do I contact TA directly to find out why they changed their search function to a more difficult version?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,849 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripadvisor.ca

Hi ~

I think I might know what is happening. If I enter the word Guyana in the search field and then use the return key, I get a link to the city of Georgetown. Instead, if I click on the icon for the correct selection from the suggestions in the drop down, I go to the pretty main page of the Guyana Forum. Can you give this a try and see what you get.

If you are typing Guyana Forum, drop the word Forum and use just Guyana. This search function went sideways about three weeks ago, was reported here on Support and replied to by a TA staffer who said the glitch was sent to the engineers. When it will be fixed is anybody's guess. Most people seem to want "[City] Forum" to work, meaning being taken to a link for the forum page, not taken to the pretty main page.

Yes, jumping to a more specific forum does not work "uphill."

Edited: 20 July 2014, 08:58
4. Re: Tripadvisor.ca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:16