We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Q&A section on hotel listings

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
New Q&A section on hotel listings

I noticed when browsing yesterday that Hotel listing now have a new Q&A tab at the top of the page which takes you to a section near the very bottom of the listing

e,g.http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186299-d2163952-Reviews-Premier_Inn_Southampton_West_Quay-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html where according to the blurb.

>> Here’s what questions travellers have asked, with answers from representatives of Premier Inn Southampton West Quay and other travellers.

Except that no one had provided an answer to the only question in eight days before I stumbled upon it by accident.

How is this supposed to work?

Presumably an email notification should be sent to the Hotel management but in this case no one has responded. Have hoteliers been told about this new TA service and to expect questions?

What if the property has no registered owner?

How are 'travellers' expected to find and respond to these questions?

Effectively TA is creating thousands of mini-forums, 1 per hotel that are not part of the normal forum system so questions wont be seen by the forum regulars. I certainly have no intent to revisit the listings of all the hotels that I have reviewed or for the hotels in my area to see whether they have questions that I could possibly answer

What protection against abuse is there in the system?

Inevitably some owners will use friends to post negative questions against competitors (Has the rat infestation been solved yet?) and provide positive responses to planted questions on their own properties. Some users who have problems getting reviews accepted will use the Q&A method instead.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

With respect to the excellent points made by several posters above, I guess we will all have to 'wait and see' how this works out. I haven't yet bumped into it.

I agree with Silvia that the Amazon system works very well as I have both asked questions and answered them. However, Amazon doesn't have forums ;-)

Many of us believe that in the opinion of TA 'powers-that-be', the forums are the poor step-child to the reviews and other features but TA would be doing millions of readers a terrible injustice if they decided to phase them out. Hopefully this new shiny gadget will supplement the forums... if it works like it's supposed to!

Hopefully also there will be auto reject for profanity.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,743 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

Amazon has forums, half_Brit. I guess they are just as well publicized as Tripadvisor's ;-)

I doubt that TA wants to phase out forums. I see the Q&A as complementary not a replacement. Time will tell.

Silvia

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

I absolutely agree with hB that it's very much a wait and see situation, and no doubt with anything new, it will have some inevitable teething issues.

I can also see Sylvia's view about it being beneficial for a smaller property where correspondence levels maybe easier managed. However it has to be beneficial across the board for all types of accommodation, and my initial concern - if it catches on - is for the much larger properties. I'm envisaging the destination properties like some of the island destinations or like DLP, where they have like near fanatical following (for a lack of better description), could be inundated.

In addition, we already have a situation whereby not all management have gotten a grasp of MR's, and this will simply add to their woes

Edited: 25 July 2014, 04:47
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

Amazon has forums? I've been shopping there for 15 years and didn't know that! Although I've never looked for them...

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,575 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

I didn't know Amazon had forums either! But I'm still to be convinced that this bew wheeze will be popular, useful or practical.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

Not having been to albufiera for about 5 years could anyone tell me how prices are for eating out

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,135 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

hutchy,

Wrong forum I am afraid, this support forum is for asking questions about how to use the TripAdvisor site if you encounter any problems, discussing features and need technical support.

You will need to post your question on the specific Destination Travel forum for Albufeira which is in the link below.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g189112-i331-Alb…

Angie.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

The forums on Amazon are excellent, posted on there a few times. Just sayin' :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,013 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

hutchy ~

Several ways to find destination forums.

1. and IMO easiest, type the location name plus the word forums into the search field in the green menu bar. e.g. Albufiera Forums

2. Use the green menu bar > "More" drop down > Travel Forums

3. Just above the Original Post or just above the reply box below, open the blue print word "All."

Edited: 12 March 2015, 19:59
30. Re: New Q&A section on hotel listings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2016, 06:17