We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Links in email notifications not working

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
623 reviews
Save Topic
Links in email notifications not working

The clickable links in email notifications for updated forum entries aren't working for me.

I'm talking about those email with subjects like: "Update to: Links to hotels and offers have been showing up"

I looked up the linked URL to which the email is trying to connect - click.e.tripadvisor

Checking this on Down for everyone or just me? http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com - I get the following message:

It's not just you! http://click.e.tripadvisor looks down from here.

Is anyone finding that the links do work? Has this already been reported and I just can't find it in the forum?

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
1 review
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
1. Re: Links in email notifications not working

Hi hfot2,

I've gotten several notification emails this morning about updates to forum posts and the links in my emails are working.

I'm assuming you will get a notification email after I post to this thread- can you give us more details about what happens when you click the "click here" link in the email?

Thanks!

Jeanine

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Links in email notifications not working

Hi Jeanine,

We meet again! and, btw, the Vote for your Favorite...award pop-up is still happening, but the first survey has not reappeared today.

>>>I'm assuming you will get a notification email after I post to this thread- can you give us more details about what happens when you click the "click here" link in the email?

OK - so here's what has been happening for 2 days now.

I get an email notification.

I click the click here link as you say above.

Then Mail (I'm on a Mac) opens Firefox and the connection indicator spins its blue wheel and keeps spinning its blue wheel.

I see these words - [waiting for click.e.tripadvisor.com…] - in a bar in the lower left whilst it is trying to open the page in Firefox)

Finally in the Firefox tab and title bar - [exclamation point in yellow triangle] Problem loading page

The Firefox page has this message in a box:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

[Try Again]

When I checked click.e.tripadvisor.com on Is it down for everyone or just me - yesterday I got it was down for everybody. Just now I got - "just you" That still doesn't help.

I don't know what click.e.tripadvisor.com is - and why the click here links worked up until and beyond the time I was getting those survey. Now all of a sudden, they don't. Why is TA so difficult for me all of a sudden? I have a lot of reviews I am hoping to post from our last trip, but am tied up in computer issues.

Thanks for offering to help,

hfot2

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Links in email notifications not working

Update - still not working.

I checked other links in other emails to Firefox sites - like UPS, and USPS, and LandsEnd, and Amazon, etcetc

All work just fine.

I turned off temporarily AdBlock Plus just to see if there were some interference suddenly from that. Same problem.

What I do now - and it's not fun - is I look at the email subject to see which Forum post has an update. Then if I reallyreally care, I go to my list of forum posts, find that one and look at it. Otherwise, I just ignore the update emails until this mail link thing can fix itself.

Any ideas?

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Links in email notifications not working

Still not working.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Has anyone ever tried emailing the "Reply to:" address on the automatic Update to a forum post email?

I'm waiting til Monday to send in a note at Contact Us to the Support Team. Navigating my forum posts is annoying when the email updates don't work. I've resisted replying to posts until I get this sorted out.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Links in email notifications not working

Further update -

I found this comment from several years back - same problem, no solution.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k5937864…

I tried on my own all the suggestions - before I read them here actually - remove cache, copy and paste addy, nothing.

I quit.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 03:48
Vermont
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Links in email notifications not working

IT WORKS AGAIN!

I finally wondered if a solution would be to turn off the computer, unplug it and let it sit.

I waited a bit, replugged and turned it on - functionality again for the email notifications. As I said above, everything else in email notifications from other sources worked - but something went amiss with TA.

Problem solved!

Go figure!

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
1 review
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
7. Re: Links in email notifications not working

Hi hfot2,

Thanks for the update! I had forwarded this issue to our email team on Friday and they were investigating it. This isn't something that other people have reported so they were not sure what was causing it. I'll pass on your update to them- thanks for letting us know that shutting down and unplugging your computer fixed it!

Jeanine

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
623 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Links in email notifications not working

Jeanine,

You are entirely welcome and thanks for forwarding my issue. Hopefully my solution will work for the next person who reports this problem.

Now if you could just make these continuous surveys and questionnaires stop popping up...

(I've looked at cookies, there are some suspicious ones I need to figure out how to make them stop and it may help...)

9. Re: Links in email notifications not working

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 05:15