We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

There have been several online blogs and reports on Yelp. If the merchant/business advertises heavily they tend to have a "better" rating than a business who doesn't. Yelp solicitors have been referred to as being rather aggressive in trying obtain a merchant's money.

I too have noticed the above with Yelp. Even Yelp's breakdown or their rating system shows a very high 41% with a rating of 5 stars (which means perfection) and almost half of that in the 4 stars. So, according to Yelp, the majority of reviews fall within the 4 to 5 star rating which really is awfully high. No business is that perfect.

Any how, some of my friends and I were talking the other day and TA was discussedc. I was asked why would their review be stuck so long in "pending" and then it disappears from the notification queue? I personally seen no issue with their review when presented a copy of it, expect it wasn't rosy like many we see on TA or Yelp.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 06:50
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

It's irrelevant whether the review is negative or positive, you only have to look around on the site and out of the millions of reviews you'll find a mixture of all types.

There are many reasons why a review is delayed in posting, gets posted then removed, doesn't get posted at all - all you have to do is ask TripAdvisor themselves or read one of the handy Top Questions relating to the particular issue (right hand side of the page and up a bit)

It's a very complex procedure, but one that is easily explained (within reason of course) so that the end user is more aware of how the process works :)

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

Hi PSAC;

>>"Does TA "filter" or censor reviews..."<<

TA only vetts a review to ensure compliance with the guidelines. There is no "filtering" or "censoring". A review will not be edited by TA staff, even if requested by the author.

>>"I was asked why would their review be stuck so long in "pending" and then it disappears from the notification queue?"<<

Most times when a review isn't posted in a timely manner, it is because the user / member failed to respond to an email request from TA staff.

TA sends an email for your guests to confirm their review in an effort to reduce fraudulent postings.

They have to click on the link in the email to confirm their review. If they don't click the link in the email, within the allotted time frame, the review will be deleted.

Best Regards

Edited: 13 August 2014, 11:45
So Cal
Level Contributor
10,703 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

The only censoring I'm aware of in reviews on TA is for non-PG-rated language. Anything spammy or slanderous would probably also get caught in the filters, or reported after the fact and removed.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

I dunno. Things seem to be changing and it doesn't necessarily seem for the better in terms of leaving reviews. I see some very questionable responses from managers or employees from establishments. I wonder how they can say such things and get away with it.

I had asked my friend to check her email, and she got nothing from TA. If they sent an email, you'd think they would've sent a PM. She re-did her review and it's once again showing up as pending.

Nonetheless, I am leaning on the side that TA does do some filtering and/or allowing the business owners or establishment have the last say, regardless if it is rude or not.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 01:07
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,500 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

" If they sent an email, you'd think they would've sent a PM. "

No, Tripadvisor will no PM its members. They communicate via direct email. Did she her spam? Does she have gmail and checked the two other tabs, Social & Promotions?

"Nonetheless, I am leaning on the side that TA does do some filtering and/or allowing the business owners or establishment have the last say, regardless if it is rude or not."

Yes, they do let the business owners have the last say with their Management Response. A management response that it is not within the guidelines can be reported and it'll be taken down: https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

Silvia

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,803 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

>> I see some very questionable responses from managers or employees from establishments.<<

Can you please post the links to those?

TripAdvisor depends upon volunteer input. Occasionally things do get posted that shouldn't be. When readers see either reviews or Management Responses that they feel are not in accordance with the guidelines, those should be reported!

It is easy to do so - just hover on the little grey flag then click on the blue "Report problem with this review" link.

If your friend would like to post her review here, we can read it and possibly identify anything that may be in violation of the Review Guidelines.

7. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 03:11
Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

I've never had any post edited or delayed by TripAdvisor. What seems suspicious is when I submit or read a post with a low rating that is immediately followed by 4 or 5 highly rated posts, often with language that sounds straight out of an advertisement for the property. These reviews often come from people who've submitted only 5 or fewer reviews. I've been told by people in the tourism business that some hotels and restaurants now pay contractors to submit fake reviews that push bad reviews off the top page, and also improve the overall ratio of good to bad reviews. These reviewers create dozens of fake user names, so they can bombard TA with reviews in a short time. I don't know how TA can adequately police this practice but it obviously goes on, and ruins the reliability of overall ratings. The same goes on with Yelp - from my experience to a much worse degree. I also spoke with a restaurateur who told me Yelp salespeople outright told him they could guarantee better ratings if he paid a hefty fee for Yelp service.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
165 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

I just found out that they do. A review I had, that was up for at least several months and was even responded to by a member of management mysteriously disappeared along with a few other negative reviews by others in that same time period. It was over a year ago, so I never even knew until I randomly came across that it was gone. I even had the link in my email still from when the manager replied and it goes no where. I re read my review (my copy) and see nothing that violated any of the terms. I wonder now, how many of the ones I was certain I had reviewed were actually just removed because they were not too favorable to the business. I never considered this site to censor because a company was large, but looking at the reviews that are there now... I can tell the reputation of that particular establishment has been clean up on/by TA.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
67,238 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does TA "filter" or censor reviews like Yelp does

Hi utopianidealist

I recommend that you start a new thread with your issue. Paste a copy of the review in your new thread.

And check out the relevant Top Questions on the right side of this page. There are many reasons why a review might be removed.