We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

did you sell my contact info

Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
did you sell my contact info

Ever since I submitted my second hotel review I have been inundated with email solicitations and adds- this is in contravention of the Canadian anti spam legislation. Do you make your customer contact info available to other companies????

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: did you sell my contact info

Welcome to the forum, laura. TripAdvisor staff rarely deigns to reply on the forum, I am a fellow member. TripAdvisor shares your contact information as described under "With whom we share your information" on their privacy policy page: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/privacy.html

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,749 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: did you sell my contact info

The anti spam legislation you're talking about is Canadian law and only companies operating in Canada need follow it. Companies operating elsewhere are not obliged to follow Canadian law.

You can adjust the settings in your Subscriptions. Top of screen > your user name > Drop down menu = Subscriptions.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,349 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: did you sell my contact info

"The anti spam legislation you're talking about is Canadian law and only companies operating in Canada need follow it. Companies operating elsewhere are not obliged to follow Canadian law." Are you sure? I remember Facebook having some issues with the Canadian government about their privacy policies.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,749 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: did you sell my contact info

I think that kerfuffle was about the Canadian Government using FB to do digital surveillance on Canadian citizens and therefore breaching Canadian privacy laws.

cbc.ca/news/politics/government-snooping-on-…

Spam is intruding into someone's life usually to sell something. Snooping is more about looking for and taking personal information, I think.

5. Re: did you sell my contact info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 07:16