We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

Epsom
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

Hi,

I've just been looking at the page for hotels in Orebic, Croatia, and am confused about how the rankings are calculated.

There are 13 hotels on the listing, with the "Hotel Resort Adriatic" being listed 9th with 3.5 stars. OK, not a great score, but the three hotels above it in the listings all have fewer stars, and one of them, the Hotel Komodor, has nothing but one star rankings!!

Something seems distinctly wrong with this?

Listings are here --> tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g635772-Orebic_Pelj…

Edited: 15 August 2014, 09:44
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-gb/…

Epsom
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

I did see that, but it doesn't provide an answer.

Hotel Resort Adriatic.

5 Excellent

3 Very Good

1 Average

1 Poor

3 Terrible

Hotel Komodor...

0 Excellent

0 Very Good

0 Average

0 Poor

3 Terrible

In what sane ranking system can the Komodor ever be placed higher in the list than the Adriatic??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,033 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

There really is no answer. TA use a proprietorial algorithm, no one knows what it is or how it works so as to not game the system. Logically it might have to do with frequency of reviews, recency of reviews, satisfaction buttons of reviews. I read somewhere that a new listing got a break from TA by being placed in some favourable position, until their reviews started to kick in. Remember the buttons that get filled in are chosen by the reviewer based on the personal level of satisfaction the party had. It could be as simple as "How was my experience?" "I'd say a 4."

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,059 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

Does it matter? TA does not provide answers. It is a tool to find something appropriate for you. Seems that you have done your analysis and can make your own decision.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

The 3.5 rated Hotel Resort Adriatic's reviews are even more dated than the 1 rated Hotel Komodor's. Some would argue that none of the reviews are relevant to travel in 2014.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 13:11
Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
41,747 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

No, Hoogo, that's not a good argument. The Adriatic has one review in June and another in July 2014. You see this when you order by Any language.

I agree with the OP. It's one of those strange things with the Popularity Index that can't be explained.

Silvia

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

Thank you yet again, Silvia. I thought I had TripAdvisor set to show all reviews regardless of language. There is definitely a flaw in the formula TripAdvisor uses to calculate the Popularity Index.

8. Re: How are the rankings calculated? Oddity in Croatia!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:17