We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

Dear TripAdvisor,

the above restaurant asked me to return to their establishment so they could show us the standards we received on 28 July was not a normal dining experience, in return for a second review on this site.

So last night we returned, so today as I promised I tried to write a second review and have been told this is not allowed.

Why not. If a restaurant gets a bad review and tries to improve their rating by offering a complimentary meal, surely for fairness you should allow that guest to write up on that experience?

I am frustrated as I am unable to keep to the deal I made with the restaurant manager.

I look forward to hearing your explanation.

Claire Duff

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
63,931 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

Hi ~

You have not reached a TA Office or TA Staff. This forum is followed by regular members.

Your subsequent visit to the restaurant must be one month from the last visit. You have 10-11 days to go before being able to visit again and review again. These are the rules that TA has made about this.

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

<I am frustrated as I am unable to keep to the deal I made with the restaurant manager.>>

I am just as frustrated that you made a deal with the restaurant manager to whitewash your previous poor experience.

USA
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

"Your subsequent visit to the restaurant must be one month from the last visit." I think the second visit can be any time, but you have to wait a month to submit the second review.

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

The previous review will still be available with a second review. You are also assuming what my review would be. The meal was better but not the overall experience still was poor so would grade low.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,141 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

"I am frustrated as I am unable to keep to the deal I made with the restaurant manager."

You shouldn't post another review, not now, and not later. Your meal was complimentary.

"no one affiliated with the business can offer incentives, discounts, upgrades, or special treatment on current or future stays in exchange for reviews. If someone has offered you an incentive for a review, please tell us about it "

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

Silvia

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,389 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

Many properties offer guests another chance to experience a meal to try and rectify a poor experience and if this is detailed in the review I see nothing wrong with the practice. In fact in a documentary about TA they covered off such a repeat experience

Hotels have also been known to offer guest free nights for a future stay as compensation for something going wrong and again as long as the guest writes a review of both experiences and details events I see nothing wrong with it

What I would object to is if the property asked for the negative review to be taken down

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

FFM, the problem was, it was a deal (e.g. an exchange with expectations). Note what the OP wrote and Silvia (Post 5 quoted...."I am frustrated as I am unable to keep to the deal I made with the restaurant manager." ...."today as I promised I tried to write a second review and have been told this is not allowed." The complimentary meal was an incentive to write a second review; the restaurant is not allowed to offer this.

Regards,

L4

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

It is quite proper for a restaurant to give a disgruntled customer a complimentary meal, but not as part of a "deal" to encourage another review.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,389 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

I agree that no "deal" should be involved but their is a very good chance that by offering a complimentary meal the person will write another review

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gurkha Cafe and Restaurant in Edinburgh

I was offered a complementary meal and I planned to write an honest review of my second experience. I was never asked to remove my previous comments and would not have done so if asked. You can not leave negative feedback get compensation then leave it at that. I have a responsibility to comment on my second experience. I was frustrated as this is not allowed.