We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Last time I looked there were about 20 reviews for Croft 103, mine included, and all 5 star ratings. Now they've gone. So too have reviews for Mackays Hotel Durness. Can anybody explain what's going on? Thanks.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,931 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Croft 103 is no longer listed. I found a cached page on google but it no longer appears on Tripadvisor. Maybe it was sold or simply closed down. In both cases, listing and reviews are taken down.

The Mackays Hotel seems to have plenty of reviews back to 2006 tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g551805-d570334…

Have you also written a review of the Mackays Hotel?

Silvia

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

The Croft 103 is two self-catering apartments so I wonder if they were found not to meet the criteria for their listing on TA. I looked and didn't see them listed under Vacation Rentals (there are a couple of names for them).

Regards,

L4

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Thank you both. Mystery solved. And Expat, I was being very dim in not spotting Mackay's Hotel was listed as Mackay's Rooms under the B & B tab. I only looked under hotel listings.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

I still can't see the reviews for Croft 103 anywhere though. I'm off there this Friday, really would have liked to read them again, and looked at the photos.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Jools, have a read of the above posts, they might explain things :)

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Perhaps I'm having a blond moment, but no, the above posts haven't helped me find them or understand where they've gone. Anything you can do to enlighten me? Ta.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,962 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Reply #1, sentence #1...

"Croft 103 is no longer listed. ... Maybe it was sold or simply closed down. In both cases, listing and reviews are taken down."

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

We'll let's hope it's not that, being as I'm all paid up and arriving on Saturday! Gulp!

I'm sure that's not the case, as I've been in regular touch with the owners. I'll ask her and report back.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
28 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Have a great trip! We are not lucky enough to have a booking at the Croft this year, but will be staying at one of the other MacKay's properties in a couple of weeks. I look forward to your feedback on your experience!

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Durness, Scotland - disappeared reviews

Joolz,

Have no fears; I'm certain that the two Crofts are still functioning and stunning they are too. We stayed in the Shore Croft and there was nothing, absolutely nothing to find fault with (apart, that is, from my wife saying 'we must get one of these hair-driers/kettles/walk-in showers' etc.)

You'll find Fiona is an excellent host who does not intrude but is always on call for help.

I wish we were going back and hope you have a fabulous stay.

PS I should have added that the reason the reviews were taken down is that TA cottoned on to the fact that Croft 103 is not a hotel but a self catering affair and such accommodation is not listed on their site. I think their might be a sister site called Flipkey for self catering properties but I've not looked there for these two properties.

Edited: 02 October 2014, 18:35