We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

A friend of mine has been banned twice, and hence is reluctant to post this under his/her own username.

TA keep sending emails to his/her old usernames, stating how many people have read and liked their reviews, and constantly pointing out that they need only x reviews to become a top contributor, or whatever. The annoying part is that the emails keep urging him/more to submit more reviews.

Much as they'd love to do this, since they do appreciate this sort of 'badge' system, they can't actually sign in to do it. Hence why they find these emails annoying.

?

Shouldn't the system cope with this situation? How can they get it stopped? Short of sending something from their current username, of course.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

Your friend can go to his subscriptions and set any or all of them to off.

Top of screen. User name. Drop down list > Subscrptions.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,645 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

No they can't mufti as they have been banned....

Not sure of the answer to this one, exgeordie67, maybe there is some way you can contact TA via the help centre and ask, on your friends behalf, but be tactful, or you might be joining him/her

Otherwise, suggest your friend marks all TA correspondence as spam, if it goes in Spam box to start with, should be much easier to deal with...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,831 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

I thought the banning was in the past? >>has been banned<< ... not ... >>is banned<< .......... >>and hence is reluctant to post this under his/her own username.<< ......... A banned person can't post. What am I missing?

Edited: 19 August 2014, 11:19
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,006 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

To me it is rather simple if a person's account is suspended all traffic from TA should cease

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

Banning is a very rare event that is only applied to a very tiny minority of TA users.

Why should TA waste its development resources updating the mail system to exclude such users from receiving emails?

It is easy for a user to set up a mail filter to auto delete unwanted mail if they cant access their TA profile because of the ban

Edited: 19 August 2014, 11:50
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

Essex - the spam one's a good idea. He/she may try it, and hopefully get back to me.

Mufti - his second banning was shortly after his first. He was told by TA that, as a banned person, he couldn't rejoin, and was therefore banned under his then current username. Whether they quoted a rule to that effect I don't know. And it doesn't really matter, since TA can ban anyone, at anytime, for any or no reason. Were he to be banned again he might start feeling unwelcome.

Flipflop - that's precisely the point he's making.

USA
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

All TripAdvisor emails should have an unsubscribe link. It is a shame they do not.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,135 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

All Tripadvisor emails have an unsubscribe link, hoogo, at least all the mails I get do. It's at the bottom of the page and hard to see in some emails because they're part of a footer with Tripadvisor info in small grey letters. If they didn't have those links, they would be in non-compliance with US spam laws.

Silvia

Edited: 19 August 2014, 13:28
Surbiton
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

To round it up, he'd seen Essex's post, and then later hoogo/expat's.

Essex - good idea, because they would only be spam in one of his email accounts - probably.

hoogo/expat - even better. There is an unsubscribe link - in tiny font, in the middle of other tiny font. However, he clicked on it, and copied me the result :

=================================================

Your e-mail address xxxxxxxx@outlook.com has been unsubscribed from Review & Badge Updates.

You may still be subscribed to other messages from TripAdvisor.

View and update your message options

=================================================

However, that's just Review and Badges Updates. Alas, he,s not in a position to update the other message options, so he'll just have to unsubscribe as they arrive.

So thanks - another problem successfully resolved thanks to the good people of the TA support forum.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,135 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA sending encouraging posts to banned usernames

You're welcome! Keep in mind that any "unsubscribe" button whether on TA or another site won't take effect immediately. I think on TA takes a few business days for their subscription list to update.

Silvia