We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
480 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

I suspect this just can't be me but has anyone got any idea why TA seem to struggle to create new listings which have the same or similar addresses to existing or closed listings? This didn't used to be a problem but it's got me banging my head against the wall (metaphorically) quite a bit of late.

As an example about three or four months ago I wrote a review of the cafe in the Tesco store in Prestatyn (Wales) which is located on the Prestatyn Retail Park. There was no listing for Tesco so I submitted a listing request along with my review. No listing appeared for Tesco (and still hasn't) but some time later I found my review posted to the Marks & Spencer Cafe which is also on the Prestatyn Retail Park. I appreciate that TA is based in the USA so perhaps the people in TA Towers aren't familiar with Tesco and M&S (Tesco is the biggest supermarket chain in the UK and M&S the biggest department store chain) but surely it must be obvious that "Tesco Cafe" and "M&S Cafe" aren't the same thing????? The only connection is the similar address but I can't even understand how this could cause confusion, Prestatyn isn't the only town in the world with a retail park so this sort of thing must be quite common?

More recently I've had a similar experience trying to post a review of the "Great Orme Country Park Visitor Centre" in Llandudno. Again there was no listing so I put in a listing request along with my review. The listing never appeared but my review did....posted to the "Great Orme Copper Mines" which is a completely different and unconnected attraction about half a mile away from the visitor centre. Again the only connection seems to be a similar address.

I've also noticed similar problems when one business closes and a new business moves into the vacated premises. TA seem totally unwilling to create a listing for "Silver's Cafe" in Rhyl and instead posted my review to "Cafe Rhyl" which used to occupy the same property until it closed down about a year ago. Again how it to possible to confuse "Silver's Cafe" with "Cafe Rhyl"? Even more bizarrely the listing for "Cafe Rhyl" has been closed so why would TA think I'd be writing a review of a business that has closed down but calling it by a different name?

As I said before this didn't used to be a problem, it seems to have started in the past six months or so. Either TA have new systems that aren't fit for purpose or they just can't get the staff anymore!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

As I'm not staff, I can't speak for TA but they do have a new process and the "matching algorithm" was problematic. This issue was forwarded as a bug and the fix happened August 8. Have you had issues with this since then and are some of your examples current? Here's a thread about it:

tripadvisor.ca/…60090637

Regards,

L4

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
480 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

Thanks Luckyfour, that could be the problem. Most of the problems I had were before 8th August, the last time would have somewhere around that time but possibly just before the 8th. I'll try reviewing one of them again and see what happens. It was just a bit embarrassing seeing some of my reviews popping up in the wrong listing, I felt it made me look like a dunce who can't post a review to the correct listing. Hopefully that won't happen any more.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

If I may suggest, I'd start off like you're writing a review to submit the listing request and then wait. I'd suggest not writing a new review unless you want to delete the review on the wrong listing. Assuming the new listing (s) go through, you can then request to move the reviews to the correct listings:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/GeneralSupport

First box: Reviews Next box: Review appears on the wrong location (you then identify which review and the correct listing)

Regards,

L4

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

>>I appreciate that TA is based in the USA so perhaps the people in TA Towers aren't familiar with Tesco and M&S<<

Rest assured that the same thing happens in the USA ;-)

I haven't tried submitting anything new since "the fix", so hopefully it did really fix it.

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
480 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

Well, having tried again with a new review I think I can safely say that....it's still not working!!!! We recently visited a new cafe that has opened in a building in which an old cafe has closed. This is a new one and not one of the ones I've previously referred to. The new cafe wasn't listed so I submitted a listing request, wrote my review (in which I included a sentence explaining that the old cafe had closed and the new place opened to replace it) and sat back. I've just checked and, surprise surprise, my listing request has been ignored and instead my review had been posted to the place that has closed down. So once again I've had to delete a review rather than face the embarrassment of looking like a dempster.

This is getting really frustrating now, it's time TA got it's act together before the site gets even more shoddy and amatuerish than it's already become. Can't they just restore the old algorithm given that it seems it was actually fit for purpose? And in future perhaps they could bear in mind the old saying "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it"?

p.s. ref post #3 - The "Review appears on the wrong listing" facility is only useful if there's a listing for the business that the review belongs to. If TA keep on ignoring requests to create a listing for the correct business then this isn't going to help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,724 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

As Lucky said, submit a request for a new listing only. Do not add the review in the same submission.

Later, when the new listing is in place, submit your review.

Llansanffraid Glan...
Level Contributor
480 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

Submitting a listings request only doesn't always work as you'll sometimes get an e-mail telling you that "your property" has been listed but when you follow the link it takes you to a listing that isn't the place you submitted the listing request for. Hence the frustation as sometimes no matter how you try to get a place listed you'll just end up banging your head against a brick wall.

Newton...
Destination Expert
for Newton
Level Contributor
3,151 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

Hi MyUserNameWasTaken,

We are looking into these reports here and yours was confusing to our listings team. The new cafe you requested doesn't have a website that mentions food (just the other part of their business), and the place you said was closed still has an operating website (so we can't find that it is specifically closed). I think in this case, there was a lot of confusion and we did the best we could when we attached your review to the existing place with the same address (which was not marked closed on our site).

I'm going to PM you an email address to send more details to and a person's name- she is doing some research for this issue. That should help us get these listings straight for you.

Thanks,

Jeanine

9. Re: Problems with new listings that have similar addresses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:15