We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Personal details remain on site

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Personal details remain on site

I made a perfectly legitimate complaint about a travel agent in Phnom Penh on July 3 2012. The travel agent replied and included our full names. I have repeatedly used the contact form to try to have these details removed and never received any response. I would like these details and the entire post removed immediately. How do I go about getting this done finally?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Personal details remain on site

In addition I have marked the post as inappropriate several times and nothing has changed

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
45,287 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Personal details remain on site

Did you try via the Help Center? Is it a forum post like this one? If so, go to www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport select Forums, Private Messages, Traveler Articles and then Help using the forums. Ask the moderator to remove the post. Indicate exactly which one it is and post the URL.

Silvia

Edited: 23 August 2014, 14:03
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Personal details remain on site

Post has now been removed but why didn't you report it back in 2012?

There is little point in posting on a forum if you don't check back for updates.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,631 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Personal details remain on site

It's lucky that the thread was not yet closed.

Padua, Italy
Level Contributor
26,529 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Personal details remain on site

I think I was lucky. My personal details were visible on the forum "only" for three days.....

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Personal details remain on site

>> It's lucky that the thread was not yet closed.

Thread had been closed in 2013 - closure doesn't affect ability to report posts

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,631 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Personal details remain on site

Interesting -- I'm sure that it used to, as in the past we had to tell people in a similar situation to contact a mod.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Personal details remain on site

I didn't know until one year ago and since then I've been trying to get it removed. It isn't very obvious with this website how to go about it ...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,675 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Personal details remain on site

>>In addition I have marked the post as inappropriate several times and nothing has changed<<

For future reference, each member has only one "vote" when marking inappropriate posts. The automated system needs several reports to remove a post; the exact number is kept secret so only TA staff know. The reason each member has only one vote is so that one person cannot control what is posted here on TripAdvisor!

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Personal details remain on site

I am not an owner however I am an employee of a business that has just received a posting that was not very good. Specifically I was named with my name (as I wear a nametag at work) in the posting. The person that posted this was obviously not knowing exactly what they were talking about as several sentences in the posting shows. While I agree with the concept of Trip advisor (and have actually posted my own on here in the past) I do not agree that using a persons name in the post (and it is the only one I have ever seen that does) is good or legal. Since I cannot find a way to write to the correct person who could remove my actual name from the post (it should just say employee) I am very willing to go so far as to bring a legal suit against Tripadvisor and the person that posted as far as discrimination, slander and defamation of character. If a person isn't happy with the items they purchased or the way they were treated, that is one thing, however to use a persons name just isn't right because I don't know who this person was/is or what their problem was, if indeed it was a real problem. Any suggestions would be great. but I want my actual name removed from the posting.