We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188671-d206727…

88% - 4/5 points

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g308272-d575893…

88% - 4.5/5 points

Does it make sense?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

Hi John ~

No it does not make sense to the average user. TA has a proprietorial algorithm that they apply to listings to make them do what they do.

You also must remember that the user vote (1-5 dots) for a review, and the ensuing collective display of dots for the listing itself simply reflect reviewers' satisfaction level of their experience. They are very personal; something like "How satisfied are we with our stay this time? Okay, 4 dots." They don't reflect a juried dot system by people with professional rating skills.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

Does it make sense?

====

Only if you understood the algorithm they use.

For example, its believed that older reviews carry less weight. So my 5 star ratings from say 2 years ago may carry less weight than your 3 star ratings from yesterday.

So you cannot just look at individual scores and add them up or average them or whatever.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 11:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

Thank you for your replies.

Then to completely rephrase my question; see attached screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/I3hSHqm.png

What does the big % sign next to a hotel name means (there seem to be no description) and what is the relationship to the % rating to the dots rating? Are they completely separate rating systems (that would be too confusing; then which one you should look for?) or somehow related (then, my original question still remains a question).

Edited: 25 August 2014, 12:12
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,604 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

If you look at the bar graph in green, and count the number of excellent and very good reviews you should get approx 88% of the total number of reviews.

It's not perfect but it does show the %age of reviewers who were personally satisfied with their stay.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
60,000 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

To me, it's just a rough guide to the percentage of reviewers who were satisfied with their experience. I have never considered it to be linked to any rating or ranking, though it may well be based on something in the algorithm.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

I could be wrong but I have always thought that the 4 / 4.5 dots which you mention are the average of the individual ratings [location/ cleanliness / value/ etc] which will differ slightly from the overall rating.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

And I thought it was some sort of modified average of the overall rating given :-)

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,063 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

The overall bubble ratings take into account depreciation (age) of reviews. https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

The % does includes ALL reviews, not the most recent ones.

Silvia

USA
Level Contributor
7,048 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

"If you look at the bar graph in green, and count the number of excellent and very good reviews you should get approx 88% of the total number of reviews." I believe this is correct, but I come up with 86.2% for the first and 87.8% for the second hotel. I cannot explain why the 86.2% is listed as 88%, it might not be updated.

The overall dot rating is a weighted average of the dots for all reviews. 4.1565 for the first, 4.3299. The first rounds down to 4, the second rounds up to 4.5.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 hotels at 88% satisfaction. One 4 points, the other 4.5!?

Thanks to Sylvia for the link in post #8 , but I am still confused.

It appears to say that the bubble rating takes account of age, while the popularity index takes account of recency. Is this not the same thing?