We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

I just had a review rejected because I faulted Motel 6 North DFW Airport for the free airport shuttle service it contracts for. I recently had a repair of a torn right quadriceps tendon. I was cleared by my orthopedist to take the trip but must use a walker or wheelchair and must keep weight off the leg. This trip to my daughter's wedding had been planned months before my injury. My leg is currently in a brace with extremely limited ability to flex it.

I had my son check with the motel to see if the shuttle could handle a person in my condition and was told that the service was provided using a van. We figured that, if I could sit in the front seat, I would be okay. Unfortunately, the van driver, whose command of the English language was extremely poor, just shoved my leg in and there was not enough room until I yelled at him to move the seat back. The experience was extremely painful to say the least.

In rejecting my review, Trip Advisor stated that they don't accept reviews of multi-day tours, tour guides, travel agencies, on line booking sites, retail stores, multi-year cruise tours, or airlines. This review had nothing to do with any of these. It had to do with a service provided by the motel thru contract. It seems to me that the review was just given a cursory glance before being rejected and would have been of interest to certain handicapped travelers.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

It may well have been rejected because the bulk of your review wasn't about the hotel, but about a shuttle service not owned by the hotel. TA could have ruled that it wasn't a review about the hotel and thus rejected it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,899 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

I think the above poster may be onto something

Do you happen to have a copy of the review you can post here for some of us t check out and advise?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

I think the issue might be, is this shuttle service Motel 6 only, or shared? If its Motel 6 only then it seems to me its clearly part of the service provided, but if its a generic shared one then its unfair.

The other issue maybe how you rated the hotel, did you badly rate for example beds, food, etc low on the basis of the transport? I say this because someone recently in the UK had a hotel review removed because they down rated multiple aspects of a a hotel on the basis of a shared bus service that the hotel had no control over.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

Unfortunately it was lost when the review was rejected. However it basically said what I said above, although I did note that several other hotels in that location used the same service. Motel 6 does contract for it. Though I gave the motel a poor rating, I did not down rate any of it's other services. I also made it clear that the shuttle service was the only reason I gave it a poor overall rating.

I would think the shuttle service would be a decisive factor in a selection of this hotel by a traveler with my type of handicap. Also, in searching the site, I found little information of use for those who are handicapped.

5. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 17:36
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

Unfortunately it was lost when the review was rejected. However it basically said what I said above, although I did note that several other hotels in that location used the same service. Motel 6 does contract for it. Though I gave the motel a poor rating, I did not down rate any of it's other services. I also made it clear that the shuttle service was the only reason I gave it a poor overall rating.

I would think the shuttle service would be a decisive factor in a selection of this hotel by a traveler with my type of handicap. Also, in searching the site, I found little information of use for those who are handicapped.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

Sorry for the multiple postings. Using TA forums on my iPhone has proven to be tricky.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,405 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

Based on what you have said, then, I would have to agree with TravellingBrit in response #1: The problem was likely that you spent most of the review discussing the shuttle service, which is not exclusive to that hotel. I would suggest writing a new review which talks about your shuttle experience, but spends more time discussing your experiences with the hotel itself: how was the room, the bed, was there a breakfast, what was on offer for breakfast, was the room quiet, how was check-in and check-out, etc. Your title can reflect the shuttle problems, but your review rating should reflect your overall experience with the hotel, not just the shuttle.

It's not fair to the hotel to have their review based entirely on the behaviour of one person, who is not directly employed by the hotel nor a sole contractor; there is only so much that they can do about that driver. However, you can certainly write about him in the broader context of your stay at the hotel.

If what you really want to do is just point out this one issue, you can post about it on the appropriate Texas forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g28964-i75-Texas.ht…

If you do decide to write a new review, I strongly recommend saving a copy of it on your computer before you submit it, just in case something goes wrong or the review is rejected again. Then you can repost it here for some feedback.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 17:30
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

I would think the shuttle service would be a decisive factor in a selection of this hotel by a traveler with my type of handicap.

==========

Why? If everything else is OK then surely better to say that the free (is it?) shuttle service is poor for disabled people and they should get a cab or other service if they wish to use the hotel and then rate the hotel on its own merits.

I'd say based on previous TA behaviour that any review that mostly focuses on the shuttle and downgrades the hotel because of that, will be removed. I'm not saying thats how it should be, just how it seems to be.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,059 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Handicapped issue not allowed to be covered by Trip Advisor

Hard to conclude without seeing the post.

But in my opinion, there is nothing wrong in giving the hotel a poor rating because of the shuttle. It is part of the experience. I did the same a year ago when the hotel website mentioned their airport shuttle but when I got there, there was none. When you choose a hotel for a certain reason and they fail to properly deliver on it then, yes, they deserve a poor rating.

The fact that it is subcontracted is irrelevant. shops and restaurants in a hotel are often subcontracted. Actually the whole hotel management if often contracted out.

I suspect that there was something else wrong with the review.