We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Hello. I am a long time tripadvisor user. I am currently experiencing problems looking at rooms. I can search for a city but if I try to look at hotel rooms a different page loads. It is in turkish but as far as I can tell it wants me to enter my cell phone number so it can charge a 1.99 TL charge to use the site. Can anyone help?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Use another site?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Welcome to the forums, Jocelyn!

Was that for a specific hotel that they were asking for your cell phone number? It's very strange.

To me it sounds like you're clicking on the external links to booking agents (like Expedia, booking.com, Orbitz) but you're been re-directed to their sites in turkish. Do you see any flag that you can change to the US or any English version of their site on those pages?

If I'm totally off on what I think it may be happening, maybe you want to gives us the name of the city you want to see hotels for and we can pass on a direct link to that city hotels to see if it works.

Silvia

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Definitely not. I was looking at Rome. Searched Rome. Selected Rome, Italy. Selected hotels. Redirected. Tried again. Redirected. Tried on my ipad. Redirected. Tried using the app instead of a web browser. Redirected. It is really weird. I posted on this forum because I think the site got hacked. Was hoping the staff would see it and investigate. This is the only way to contact them since there is no public email available.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Are you on tripadvisor.com? I went to Rome Hotels and was not re-directed anywhere. You said you think the site (Tripadvisor) may have been hacked.

Are you re-directed if you go directly to Rome hotels by clicking on this link?

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187791-Rome_Lazio-Ho…

Silvia

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Thanks. That worked. Yes I am using trip advisor.com but because I am in Turkey it redirects to the Turkish based site. The problematic redirected site is also in turkish so, again, I think this is an issue that has to do with being in Turkey. Thanks again for the link. .

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Crap. It only kind of worked. When I tried to add my travel dates it redirected again to the turkish site. Sigh.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,370 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Turkey is known for this. They blocked anyone accessing YouTube a year or so ago from within Turkey because the Turkish Government requested YouTube take down some videos which YouTube refused to do.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
43,762 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

Try again, but this time change the flag in the upper right corner to the US flag before entering your dates. If it works, delete from your browser the tripadvisor.com.tr cookie but leave alone the tripadvisor.com cookie.

Silvia

9. Re: In Turkey. Can't look at hotel rooms.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 07:16