We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Display Name Changed

Chesham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Display Name Changed

Hi guys.

I posted to the forums yesterday and had a great response resulting in two questionable reviews (countering my own) being removed (link at the bottom to the other thread).

Today I noticed that my display name has been changed. Not sure if it's because I drew attention to myself, or if someone reported.

I signed up while working for an events company and my original display name was the name of the company. I changed this after I left the company (too many working weekends!). My new username was a website in words (ie, randomwebsitedotnet). It's not a commercial website, nor anything vaguely related to TA and I just had a quick search through TA user terms and couldn't find any reference to such an occurrence.

No major dramas, just curious.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12105-k77760…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Display Name Changed

When I posted on your other thread about 12 hours ago, you were Hq2Hq2.

Edited: 04 September 2014, 21:10
Chesham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Display Name Changed

It was similar, but not quite the same. They've doubled up the first 3 letters.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,844 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Display Name Changed

Try contacting TA Staff through the following link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/GeneralSupport

1. Choose > Sign in and Registration

2. Choose > I want to combine multiple accounts

3. A text box opens for you to describe the situation.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,103 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Display Name Changed

Your original username was also your website. TA does not allow that, as it can be abused by businesses.

"You cannot include commercial links or contact information in your screen name."

https://www.tripadvisorsupport.com/hc/en-us/…

Edited: 05 September 2014, 02:40
Chesham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Display Name Changed

Ah, thanks. I imagined that would be the case, but after the change couldn't find anything (by searching rather than fully reading) the TA terms.

Many thanks for the contributions as always.

Chesham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Display Name Changed

I emailed TA support and already got a reply (yay!). Bizarrely they say my display name was changed by ME (or someone with access to my account) most recently on the 4th August. I know that's not the case, so the lady may have meant 4th September & indeed someone has access to my account (although my passwords are random and it seems extremely unlikely). Or someone up high has changed it but there is no record of the change. Both my review of the restaurant and the two questionable reviews (since removed) were posted after 4th August and one of them referred to me by my username in full (before it changed sometime after posting for the first time on the forums).

Bit of a strange reply as the easy answer would be to say it was a website (although not commercial or personally identifiable so no terms broken).

7. Re: Display Name Changed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 05:16