We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

Hello! A friend and I are taking a mini trip, around 4 days, with a focus on relaxation. I've been to Hawaii but never the Caribbean. She has been to Mexico, so that's out. We're overwhelmed with the Caribbean options. Flying from Midwest- Chicago/Minneapolis/Madison/or Milwaukee - hoping for direct flight. Hawaii seems too far for such a short trip. Can you guide us?? This is my first time away from my kids, so definitely don't want to be surrounded by little kids--nor do we want something geared towards romance/couples. Looking for lots of beach time, but also excursions such as kayaking, snorkeling, etc. We will be going early November. THANKS IN ADVANCE! (side note:I'd love some rainforest options but afraid of snakes, so I'm not sure how to proceed on that front:)

6 replies to this topic
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

Look into Puerto Rico. Great beaches, rain forest, history, good food.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,004 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

I would stick to the Caribbean since you only have 4 days - save Hawaii for when you have 7-10 days. What's your budget for lodging - looking for resort or vacation rental? Do share a bit more. :)

Belvidere, Illinois
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

Look at Punta Cana or Jamaica. You should be able to fly non-stop from Chicago to both of those locations in November. There are plenty of nice all-inclusive resorts for adults only or for families. Apple Vacations has packages from Chicago to both locations.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

I appreciate the replies. We are all over the map, literally. Today we were looking into Bahamas and Florida Keys. We have a pretty open mind, not a set budget, and length is a bit flexible as well. Perhaps 5 days. We are indecisive right now because there are just too many options :)

Edited: 11 August 2017, 06:30
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

Neither of us has ever done an all inclusive. We aren't big drinkers. Some of the concept of the AI is appealing, while on the other hand, we like the option of leaving a resort and doing our own exploring.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,219 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would love help choosing a destination- no kids

Early November in the Caribbean will be shoulder season so not too crowded but you might be limited in your lodging options since it's only 3 months away. Bahamas & Keys would be "chilly" I'd go further south and via ORD most places are easy to get to

The best beach in the Caribbean IMO would be Grace Bay Beach in Turks & Caicos which you can find non-AI to visit...some snorkeling and SUP but not really kayaking.

Anguilla gets rave reviews for awesome beaches but not much for snorkeling

Puerto Rico would be ok - rain forest hike, bioluminescent bay for night kayaking, pretty easy night life, good historical and cultural sites but the best beach in PR is on Culebra which is really just a beach

My favorite places in the Caribbean are St John, Virgin Gorda and Dominica but not have really awesome beaches - but good snorkeling in the Virgin Islands and great hiking in Dominica

Reply to: Would love help choosing a destination- no kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted