We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica, St Lucia, Mexico or Cuba?

Laugharne, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaica, St Lucia, Mexico or Cuba?

Hi

Me and my boyfriend are looking to book a holiday for the 18th September for two weeks. We went to book Riviera Maya in Mexico this morning but decided to shop around more locations as we're spending a lot of money and want it to be perfect

We are both in our late 20s and we have found hotels in every location that we're happy with, basically all Royalton AI resorts and ideally we want beautiful white sand beaches but we also (and this is really important) we do not want to be trapped in the resort. We want to experience the country we're in by seeing the sights and going on excursions and stuff. We ruled out Dominican Republic because it seems you're pretty resort bound there - any advice on any of the above locations?

Thanks in advance

3 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
29,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica, St Lucia, Mexico or Cuba?

Ive been to all of the destinations/islands you mention at one time or another, and in my opinion/experience youll probably find the greatest variety/choice of off resort activities/attractions in the Riviera Maya region of Mexico...

However, all of those destinations have off resort excursions of varying types, some specific to their particular area/island only, and some fairly common to all....If you want a better comparison of what each truly offers, use the Tripadvisor "Destination" based Forums to research whats actually available in each place by reading the Reviews section found on each indivudual Forum, and the "Attractions" Things to Do " listings that are printed on every Tripadvisor destination forum...Then you can judge for yourself what's best for you

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica, St Lucia, Mexico or Cuba?

Wanted to add/Edit time expired.....Certain attractions or excursions may or may not be easily accessible due to the actual location of the Hotel you ultimately end up choosing.....Researching preferred excursions/attractions and hotel locations beforehand /asking for advice directly on the relevant Destination based forum pertinent to the area will help you plan ......You say "we do not want to be trapped in the resort", so my advice is to research into whether or not the hotel has shuttles available, or taxis, or public bus service nearby or readily available, or there are things of interest you can walk to - some hotels are located in areas with very little around, except perhaps another hotel....You might even look into a car rental/hire if that works for you...

Good luck with your holiday planning

Edited: 14 August 2017, 16:10
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica, St Lucia, Mexico or Cuba?

I see you ended up deciding on the Dominican Republic after all -

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g317629…

Have a good holiday

Reply to: Jamaica, St Lucia, Mexico or Cuba?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted