We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
722 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

I am partial to PV, having visited for almost 30 years [I was but a babe in arms...] and now own a condo and am in town between 5-6 months. Playa Los Muertos is the most popular beach around, right near the Pier, south of Rio Cuale. SouthSide is full of sunbathing, vendors, restaurants, fishing, swimming, scuba, snorkel, whale watching, sand castle building on the maleon. Add PV to your list and come see what it is all about!

garyrbeck

Gulf Shores, AL
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

I'll second that, I've always enjoyed visiting PV, I like NV as well. Great food, great people, beautiful beaches. What's not to like?

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1 post
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

We've been going to PV since l984, and next to Italy, it's always been our favourite place until a few years ago. We started noticing visible brown polution in the bay - we were told it was algae bloom, but when I looked it up back home, it was the wrong season and wrong colour! So...the polution has put us off, and the beaches are not as clean as they used to be.

Also, we always felt very safe anywhere we went in PV until our last trip. It just feels like the atmosphere has changed, and it's more like a city than a town. One cab driver summed it up - most of the people who live there now, including the Mexican people, are not originally from PV.

So, we've been a little disappointed because it's lost a lot of its charm. Would we go back? Probably, although not every year like we used to.

I really miss the incredible sunsets! And there are so many great restaurants there, that I get annoyed that all the hotel packages are all inclusive. It's so much nicer there to just go where you please, when you please.

Terri

denver
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

have been going once a year for 18 years. Get asked a lot why i don't try other places. Sorry when you have found a beautiful city, wonderful people, fantastic weather and overall paradise WHY go any where else? Would love to relocate some day!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

If you want a fun hotel in PV, I suggest the ROYAL Decameron. It has a great beach, and the water is wonderful for swimming. It's also a nice short walk, or horseback ride to Bucerias.

Hope you have a great time!

Salem, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Have been to PV and Playa both. My pick is Playa. Water is warmer, clear and the sand is white. PV is more like a city now. Playa still has "some" old Mexico feel and charm left.

Playa for me.....

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Royal Decameron Bucerias gets my vote too!

addison, il
Level Contributor
138 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

If you all Love PV so much tell me if I make a good choice at the Marriott Casa Magna for Thanksgiving. Have 2 kids, 10 and 12, and we like to do and eat everything. Also wondering about any favorite nite entertainment and or restaurants. Excursion suggestions would be helpful too. Trying to make last minute plans.

Thanks

Salem, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

A trip to Chico's Restaurant with the kids would be an excellent choice.

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
429 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Chico's with kids is great choice, and I understand that the Marriott is a good choice--my friend's sister has been staying there annually for many years. Her favorite restaurant is Hector's Sunset, which is close to where you're staying. It's open for dinner at a little spot right on the beach that doesn't look like much, but it garners rave reviews from people we talked to. We still have it on our list! We like Nuevo Vallarta a lot, but that largely has to do with timeshare ownership, which has worked well for us.We have done a lot of Vallarta-Adventures tours. They are well run by informative guides; you'll save some $$$ if you book on-line, where they provide great descriptions. Just walking the Malecon on a Sunday evening is festive--mimes, vendors selling food items (corn, fruit, etc--), the folk dancers performing at the Arches. We just returned from a week long trip and I wish we were going back. Enjoy!

10. Re: Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 01:15
Get answers to your questions