We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

I really don't like a lot of wind all the time, or rough waves. I'd like some suggestions for great beaches in Cuba and Mexico, or other AI destinations from Canada.

Must have a coral reef for the snorkling!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

If you don't like wind, you might want to focus on the upper Caribbean area, as the more southern islands (like Aruba, etc.) gets more wind.

For a great (1bout 12 miles long) beach and great snorkeling and diving, consider Turks & Caicos, mainly Providenciales island. Grace Bay is protected by a offshore reef that is good for diving/snorkeling and the wind is normally 'offshore' so the waves are very mild. There are numerous relatively small (8 - 50 units each) and very nice traditional resorts along Grace Bay. Check the Providenciales forum on TA for lots of information. Wife and I like to go to the Club Med on Grace Bay and returned from our 7th visit about a month ago. It is one of the two large resorts (Beaches family resort being the other) and is fully all-inclusive if that is what you like. If you like traditional (non AI) resorts, there are plenty of them also.

Check my recent trip report at my web site:

wwww.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

If you didn't notice, I had a slight typo on the URL in that previous post...

www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html (with on 3 "w"s)

Might work a little better....

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

It looks amazing! Great pictures. I then searched a price, and will have to pass on this trip until I make my million :)

From where we are, it would cost close to $4000 p.p for a week.

It does look stunning...thank you.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

Club Med "list prices" tend to be high, but they frequently run lots of 'specials'. Like most of this year through early Feb there is a "7 day weekend" special that makes it very affordable. We stayed a week in Sept/Oct for right at $1800 (USD) for the two of us, land only. If you are traveling during the peak season, Jan - April, then good rates will be limited. Also, more so than with most resorts, using a Travel Agent who is very familiar with Club Med is important and can save you a lot of $$

Have fun and enjoy your trip, wherever you go!

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

I have been to the Turks Club Med. It is on a beautiful beach but it's a rowdy property. If you want quiet, pass on this. The Club Med on San Salvador bahamas (Colombus Isle) is stunning. There is snorkling--reef I am not sure. I do know it's a sought after scuba location. They have weekly charter flights from Montreal.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

Well, depends on what you consider 'wild'.... When was the last time you were there, WaupacaTraveller??

It has calmed sown considerably in the past several years. We've been there 7 times in the past 10 or so years and it's definitely calmer than it used to be. It is fun, but I would call it far from rowdy (and I'm over 60).

On the other hand, Columbus Isle Club Med is very nice. (Been there 5 time over the past 12 years.) It is more "up-scale" and definitely quieter than Turkoise. Columbus Isle is largely about diving and the divers go to bed early to get up and dive early. There are some very good snorkeling spots, although I don't think quite as good as Turkoise. The beach at Columbus Isle is only about 1.5 miles long, but very nice and there are couple of small coral heads within swimming distance off the beach in addition to the two snorkel trips per day by boat. Also sailing, windsurfing, tennis, etc. and somewhat better food than Turkoise. Also quite few Europeans, especially French, because there is a large weekly charter flight from Paris.

Again, check my web site for trip reports and pictures from Columbus Isle:

www.hammocktree.us/ms/trips.html

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
616 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

Amateur, it's been a few years. I am glad to hear it calmed down. A few years back I took my parents there (also 60 at the time). I went to bed and they went to a 10 PM Foam party!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

LOL, WaupacaTraveller !!

For better or worse, the foam parties were dropped about 3 years ago. That's an example of the "taming of Turkoise"...

Now, about once or twice a year, a bunch of singles get together and organize an unofficial "Singles Week" at Turkoise. I think they have one planned for sometime in January. Now that might get to be a somewhat rowdy week, foam party or not! :-)

Virginia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

Your question is one I ask repeatedly....didn't see any good suggestions as yet. If you ever find it, could you drop me an e-mail?

Dont' like the AI, and prefer quiet, non-rowdy, small "bungalow on the beach" type place, nothing lavish, but with the basics (hot shower) and white sand beach, with swimmable water.

Thanks!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
129 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggest a sheltered, great snorkel and swim beach?

I would suggest my favorite beach in the world, Akumal, Mexico. It is about an hour south of Cancun. The beach is lined with palm trees, the open air restaurant is fantastic, the water is turquoise and calm. I don't remember an wind at all. And the best snorkeling of my life, by far. It is actually a turtle sanctuary. They will swim within 3 feet of you. The reef was beyond amazing. We saw thousands of fish, even getting caught encircled by a school of silver fish. Playa del Carmen is a great beach with calm waters and it is between Cancun and Akumal. Go to LocoGringo.com for more information.