We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Help!! My husband I have been spoiled by sandals ai resorts and are looking for an ai to take our teenage son( not beaches). Thinking maybe Mexico, barbados, or Aruba. Does anyone have advice? So far nothing we ve researched seems to measure up!!

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Hi - what are you looking for in your vacation? What activities interest you?

Aruba and Barbados both have beautiful, white sand beaches and turquoise water. Both are in the southern Caribbean, so they tend to be hot year-round. Both have a wide range of resort choices and lots of activities. I prefer Barbados over Aruba, because I like the more traditional West Indian atmosphere of Barbados. However, Aruba is a great choice for many.

I can't help with the specific resort because we don't stay at AIs (unless it is business), but I can help answer questions about these islands.

Regards.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,025 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

When you go would help decide if you should be looking at a spot in or out of the hurricane zones. Also, budget range would help. I've been to Aruba, Mexico (Cabo, Cancun), Barbados, St. Kitts, USVI, Puerto Rico, Cayman, and Costa Rica. Be glad to help. All have pretty good followings and local TripAdvisor boards.

Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Thanks. Leaning more towards mexico- would like to see ruins, or Barbados- maybe snorkel with the sea turtles. Other than that we are looking primarily for sun, sand, and good food as well as a little "local flavor". I read some posts about Aruba and it seems a little too commercialized for us. We love the west indies feel also.

Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Thanks. Going around February or march. Not sure on budget. Would like to keep it about six grand or less. Been to bunch of places in west indies and the carribean. Thought might be nice to see ruins in Mexico and go somewhere different for a change. Really up for anything

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

I think the Club Med resort at Cancun might be a good fit. The have lots of activities for kids (within age groups) including multiple water sports (sailing, windsurfing, snorkeling, water skiing), circus/trapeze, and the normal kids stuff. Also lots of fun activities for the parents. They have some good excursions to several different Mayan ruins that would be fun and even a bit educational. The Club Med was the first of the big resorts on Cancun and has the best part of the beach. (It was completely rebuilt after a storm a couple of years ago and is now a very nice resort.)

Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Thanks. Thats very helpful. I will definatly research that!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,798 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Ah yes, I would like to second the idea of Club Med and all their fun activities like learning to 'fly' on the trapeze. Would you please let us know what you select especially if you choose Club Med? Have fun.

Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Thanks for your input!!! Will let you know when we decide!!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,025 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Looks like some great ideas. I just want to point out that if you think Aruba is "too commercialized", then Cancun is way more than that, in my opinion. You might want to check out the area south of Cancun, called Riviera Maya, or possibly Tulum - they are both a little less commercial to me.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go for beach vacation with teenage son?

Yes, if you stay on the "strip" at Cancun, you are correct, it is very commercialized. However, the Club Med is on a point of land at the end of the beach and is very much off by itself. The entrance road is about 1/2 mile long. You can see the many resorts lined up along the beach north of the CM, but they do not interfere with the CM activities at all. The Club Med has a huge amount of land (well, actually a lot of water since much of it is the lagoon) and a lot of beach for the number of rooms/guests.

If you use GoogleEarth, go to coordinates 21 21' 03" N, 86 46' 51" W. That is about the middle of the CM property.