We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Topic
lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

HI eveyrone, I am looking to travel somewhere beachy, quiet, and very secluded over hte new years holiday. I have at most 4000 to spend but anything cheaper is better! Right now I have found a decent resort in Belize, pelican beach resort and with the cost of two plane tickets and a 7night package it is about 4000 dollars. I need ideas and suggestions from more seasoned travellers. This is a lot of money to spend and I want to make sure I get the most for it. Three will be two of us travelling and we are both college students if that means anything discount wise i suppose. Thank you for the help!

1. Re: lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 September 2011, 15:30
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

Hi Peaceandquiet. Welcome to the forums! It's great to have you here.

While I respect the rights of all TA contributors to post their opinions, I do not agree with many elements of BooBear98's post above. My most serious objection stems from the fact that he/she advised you to do something that is illegal for Americans (visiting Cuba). I'm quite certain that this post will be removed for that reason.

Now back to travel advice :) You are looking for a beach vacation to a quiet, secluded location. For this reason, I do not recommend the typical all-inclusive vacation for you. I get the sense that you are looking for something quieter and more personalized. I think you are headed in the right direction by looking at a place like Belize. Some other locations you might like:

Costa Rica - There are several beach towns that would be great options. Take a look at Manuel Antonio, Santa Theresa/Mal Pais, Montezuma, Tamarindo/Playa Langosta (can be a lively town, but there are some quieter options around), Playa Grande, Playa Conchal and Playa Flamingo. The Costa Rica forum on Tripadvisor is very active, so that's a good place to start. Here is the link: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g291982-i813-Costa…

Roatan, Honduras - avoid staying on West Bay Beach, which can be very touristy. Look at other, quieter areas of the island.

Vieques & Culebra - small islands off of Puerto Rico, may have the quiet/secluded vibe that you seek

Grenada - Take a look at some of the smaller, boutique hotels on the beach.

For price comparisons, I often use www.cheapcaribbean.com

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,511 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

I agree with Belize and Costa Rica - I've been to Costa Rica myself. I also agree with the previous post that adding your needs to a new post in the local forum boards (Belize, Costa Rica) which identifies what you're looking for, your budget, etc. could be VERY helpful to find new resort options. Locals and Destination Experts always have some great nuggets of information. In my opinion, your budget is very doable. Good Luck.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

You can also check into the US Virgin Islands of St Croix, St Thomas and St John. All three do not require passports for US Citizens, great beaches, gorgeous water and less expensive than you would think.

Check out the forums here for all 3 islands. One good website is: www.gotostcroix.com

Washington DC...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

thank you for the information. read my mind on the costa rica, it is 500 dollars round trip to get there from DC! I am also looking at tobago and trinidad they are both in my price range so far. I will post this over to the country specific forums, thank you for the tip

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

I have been to Pelican Beach Resort in Belize and it is quite lovely. Very quiet and secluded, beautiful calm clear water with great snorkeling right off shore. The airfare to Belize is always high during the holiday period since there are few flights and no charters, but that is also why it remains unspoiled and genuine. Depends on what you are looking for. Feel free to email me for more info on Pelican Beach. escape@barbsbelize.com

7. Re: lay out in the sun for 3-4000?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 17:16