We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First holiday alone - Where to go?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First holiday alone - Where to go?

Hi

I'm 19 (on mum's account) and am planning to go on holiday at the end of June with my boyfriend, also 19. This will be both of our first holiday without family and we have no idea where to go.

I have only ever been to Turkey in the summer - I have been to Hisaronu/Olu Deniz 15 times and absolutely love it, but my boyfriend doesn't fancy Turkey, so we're looking for somewhere fairly similar.

We would like somewhere with nightlife but not of the Ibiza/Malia/Magaluf variety as we're not typical party animals. We would also like somewhere warm, preferably with a beach. We would essentially like a beach holiday with good food and moderately lively nightlife for a nice holiday, not too expensive, for our first holiday together.

Can anyone suggest a country/resort?

Thanks

Becky

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

How long a vacation and how far are you willing to travel?? (Two related questions.) Do you want to stay in Europe/N. Africa or do you have the time to travel to the Caribbean or perhaps southern Pacific or Asia??

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

Probably a week but depending on cost maybe 2. Personally I'm open to anywhere distance-wise, as long as it's not too expensive. I don't really mind where in the world I go, my main limit is cost

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

I'm most familiar with the Caribbean area so will toss out a couple of possibilities there.

The Club Med resort on Providenciales, Turks & Caicos islands is a possibility. Adult only (18 and up), basic rooms but lots of fun activities, good food, great beach (best in Caribbean), reasonable prices if you get their specials. Provo is a pretty quiet island, but the Club Med provides nightly entertainment/activities. Not sure what flights are available to Provo (PLS) but would be one of the closer islands in the Caribbean.

The Cancun/Riveria Maya area of Mexico offers a number of resorts (all inclusive and otherwise) and lots of activities and entertainment possibilities. I'd suggest posting on the Mexico/Cancun forum for specific resort suggestions. This would probably be one of the cheapest destinations in the Caribbean area. Probably a 9 - 10 hr air trip from England.

If you want to feel a little more "at home", consider Antigua and the other BVIs. Antigua has good air service and numerous beaches (mostly small but pretty). Most entertainment is resort oriented, but some interesting tours and such available. Again, post on the Antigua forum for specific suggestions.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

how about a greek island, maybe mykonos?? lots of beaches, party and culture.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
319 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently looking at Crete or Kos, as they seem to be reasonably priced and I've heard good things on here. Had a look at the Turks and Caicos Islands and there seems to be limited listings on tour operators' websites, and what I did find seemed a little expensive for a student budget! :) I'll look on the forum for Mexico but will most likely end up in Greece - despite the Euro ;)

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

i think that you may like kos better. it is a youngish , ,party island, but anything in the greek islands is to my liking!! what great people, history, food and scenery. have fun.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

Yes, I have to agree with charley about Greece....................I live in Canada, so Greece is much further away for me than say Mexico, where we tend to travel often because of distance, but I have been to Greece, many islands and it's gorgeous there........................it's closer for you so yes, give it a try....Santorini is amazingly beautiful, also Crete, Mykonos, and Rhodes...enjoy which ever place you choose...

8. Re: First holiday alone - Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2013, 10:20