We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

West Bloomfield...
8 posts
Save Topic
Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

Looking to travel to florida for spring break and would like to stay somewhere with nice beaches and a faviiliy that would offer plenty of options for basketball, softball andbaseball. We have been to Okaloosa Island and PCB. Any other suggestions. A family atmosphere is a priority.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

You might try posting in the Florida forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28930-i18-Florida…

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,304 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

There sure are a lot of options for what you want. It's a lot to sort through. Then you just have to rely on the impression that you get from a website probably. When you come to TripAdvisor you may get advice from folks about what worked for them. But are they you?

Why don't you get expert advice? Near you at 13 Mile and Northwestern on the NE corner inside an office building is Gateway Travel. They have lots of experienced travel agents there who book travel day in and day out, year after year. They have their own experiences as well as hearing about client experiences. The big point is for you (actually the whole family could attend a meeting) to sit with them and review what you want from your holiday and then let them give you a couple of options. This is a great way to ensure your holiday and not waste your precious vacation time and money. So which of these travel agents specializes in FL and families? That I can't say but you could call the owner (Rochelle) or her right hand man (Mark) and ask. There may be a fee for their service but they will tell you about it upfront. Travel agents used to be paid by their suppliers but that has been changing so I think it depends on what you are booking. Disclaimer: I don't work for Gateway. I used to live in MI. Good luck with your plans.

lakewood, colorado
Level Contributor
506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

Sorry, but I disagree with CapeCodCharlie. Lynnhuis did not ask about travel agents, but for the opinions of other TA posters. Personally, TA has been a fabulous resource for my family in planning many trips.

I highly recommend any of the beach towns between St Pete Beach and Clearwater Beach on the Gulf Coast. Our first trip was spring break 2007 with the kids, and we have returned every year since. It is very much a family friendly area, not wild and rowdy like some beaches can be during spring break. While the area does attract spring breakers, it is not really a "spring break destination" for college aged people.

Clearwater Beach at the north and St Pete Beach to the south are about 30 miles apart, with a half dozen or so smaller beach towns in between. We stayed in North Redington Beach for several years, and in Indian Rocks Beach last year. The area is pretty laid back, but with plenty to do.

Baseball spring training is great fun, and there are several MLB teams within less than an hour. The Phillies are in Clearwater, Blue Jays in Dunedin, and the Yankees in Tampa. There are nine other teams within a two hour drive of Tampa.

visitstpeteclearwater.com/articles/baseball-…

In early spring, the air temp and water temp are typically around 70 degrees. Very swimmable, especially if you are used to swimming in Lake Michigan, lol! Lots to do with the kids, from boat rides and dolphin watching to fishing, biking, paddleboarding, museums and amusement park, etc.

If you want to know more, I will be happy to fill you in.

Cindy

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,304 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

I hope the OP can call you when something unexpected comes up Cindy. Of course TA is a great place to get ideas but we strangers can't know what others will most enjoy and we don't have the unadvertised specials nor the contacts with hoteliers nor the experience booking folks day in an day out for a living. Why go with trial and error when there are so many options from which to choose and find the right one for that precious vacation time? But maybe you cut your own hair too....lol. Okay, so just a thought.

lakewood, colorado
Level Contributor
506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

Hmmm .... a travel agent doesn't know your preferences any more than a TA poster - you tell both parties what is important and ask the questions that matter most. A travel agent is more skilled and knows the correct questions to ask, and what to suggest based on the answers.

But for people like me who want to know everything about an area, lodging, restaurants, attractions, etc., a resource like TA is heaven! I think it depends on your personality type, whether you're looking for something special or difficult to find, and how much time an effort you want to spend planning your trip.

And horrors no, I don't cut my own hair, you have to draw the line somewhere.

: )

maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

Cape Cod Charlie... I would think that lynnhuis asked the questions on TA BECAUSE they wanted answers from people with first hand experience which most travel agents do not have.I'm sure the agents in the agency you cited have not been to every beach in FL staying in every hotel and condo along they way. Cindy was trying to be helpful and she was giving her advice with experience in Florida with a family.

This is supposed to be a site where one goes for helpful information. Not a site to attack someone personally.

West Bloomfield...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

Thank you (I think). My inquiry for info was directed to people who have traveled to Florida with their families. We are looking for a place to stay and are leaning towards Destin or Clearwater beach. Does anyone have any recommendations on specific lodging choices? Are there any facilities out there that have "things to do" aside from the beach and the shopping? Although , my daughters and I love to beach and shop but the boys are looking for basketball/baseball activities too! Thanks everyone.

West Bloomfield...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

Can anyone suggest a place to stay in Destin that is on the beach an d has amenities such as basbetball courts?

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

Lynnhuis, for a post as specific as this, you might get better info by posting in the Destin forum. They have some good destination experts.

10. Re: Active familylooking for beach and sports in Florida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2013, 09:21
Get answers to your questions