We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Topic
Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

Been to Turks and Caicos 5 times now, and love the water.

How do the Maldives compare as far as water beauty, and how do you compare the two.

Thinking of a trip down the road to Mirihi in the Maldives.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

I went both Mirihi and Provo last year. I've been to Provo twice now.

Mirihi is in a league of its own. Just world class beautiful sand, water and reef. The food is spectacular- really, truly outstanding. The house reef is amazing. It blows anything in the Caribbean away. The service is vey impressive. I guess you could say I'm spoiled for life by Mirihi. There is a detailed review of Mirihi in my profile, and I have also written about it in my blog at www.reeftravler.com

Provo is indeed very nice, in terms of water color and sand. It actually felt crowded after our stay at Mirihi. The snorkeling in Provo is not in the same league as Mirihi, nor is the diving.

Please feel free to PM me with detailed questions.

Beachdreams2, one of our other DEs, has been to the Maldives and Provo. She may be able to offer some feedback as well.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

I have been to Turks & Caicos three times and once to the Maldives (stayed at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island, which is pretty close to Mirihi). I’m sure Luv4travelNJ will respond, but you really should get her feedback since she has been to Provo and Mirihi.

I posted a comparison on this thread (post 41) on the T&C forum after my Maldives trip last year that may be helpful: tripadvisor.com/…32031802

You specifically asked about the water, so I will try to elaborate on that but also provide some other information that seems relevant.

Maldives water was multi-shade, gorgeous turquoise like T&C, but maybe with not quite as many variations. One side of the island (western facing) was calm like Grace Bay. Water clarity was good. There were a lot of fish around that you could see when snorkeling on the reef or even just walking on the bridge between the resorts two islands at night (a lot more and bigger fish than you would see on T&C generally). Maldives temperatures (air and water) were warmer than T&C.

Overall, comparing the Maldives to Turks & Caicos, is an apples and oranges situation. While both are beautiful beach destinations, the overall atmosphere and experience are quite different. I think if you have an opportunity to experience the Maldives, it is well worth it. Most of the resorts in the Maldives are on private islands, and this has advantages and disadvantages IMO. To the best of my knowledge, none of the Maldives islands have a beach that comes close to Grace Bay beach for long walks. The resort where I stayed had two islands, connected by an over-the-water bridge (and there was a boat that ran between the two islands), but I would estimate my walks around each island took less than 30 or 40 minutes respectively for the water villa and main islands. In terms of cost and time, for someone in the US east coast especially, getting to the Maldives is much more expensive and time consuming than getting to Provo. Accommodations/food in the Maldives also tend to be more expensive, although admittedly, I do not know much about the “budget” or all-inclusive resorts in the Maldives.

One thing to keep in mind is that there has been some political unrest in the Maldives and a change of government recently, so that definitely is something to monitor.

P.S. Luv4ravelNJ beat me to posting. but I was writing at the same time and didn't see her response.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 21:24
Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

Oops, I misspelled the link to my blog above. It is www.reeftraveler.com

Texas
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

I'm glad to see you took my advice and posted your question here also. I knew Beachdreams2 and luv4travelNJ would give you great responses!!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

The Maldives are extremely nice. It's gorgeous. But wow it's a long flight to get there. I stopped flying to places that are such long flights. K&C is perfect for me. But young folks like to travel so I would have to vote for Maldives.

6. Re: Compare Providenciales to the Maldives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions