We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

mt.vernon
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

I'm a fam of 5 & want to take my family to one of those places but not sure which would be best. We love the beach and seafood. The kids are pre-teens. Any suggestions? Is there an appropriate middle ground. We aren't folders.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
876 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

If a beach is what your looking for, Hilton Head is your best bet within a close drive to Savannh. Personally I like Charleston for it's food, culture and has beaches not to far away. Try coming up with a list of must and try posting on those cities individual forums, you'll get experts in those cities answering your questions.

Good luck!!!

mt.vernon
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

Thank you. Well be leaving from daytona so well have had the beach. Any idea of a good spot in Charleston?

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

Hilton Head is nice, but that is the "Country Club" island/beach. It's all rather high class and a bit stuffy. I prefer what you might properly call Savannah's "beach": Tybee Island. Savannah proper is actually about 10 or 12 miles from the Atlantic ocean and has no beaches. If you go east form Savannah you get to Tybee Island there is a very nice beach there, a couple of miles long and typically about 200 ft wide. You'll probably see some surfers and kiteboarders and kayaking is popular in the marshes on the inland side of the island. Tybee is much more the middle class/working man's beach community, but with several good restaurants.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
876 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

camcan3515,

It's been too many years since I've been in Charleston to give you great advice, try the Charleston forum, you'll get the best advice there.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

The Charleston area is a great place for a family vacation. The food, culture and atmosphere there is wonderful. There are many beach towns within a 15 - 45 minute drive from Charleston. We like to stay in one of the beach towns and then drive into Charleston for shopping, sightseeing (the kids love the aquarium and the carriage rides) and lunch or dinner.

Folly Beach is about 15 minutes from Charleston, and there are lots of nice rentals / condos there (I don't recommend the Holiday Inn which is the only hotel on Folly).

Edited: 13 April 2012, 19:51
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,927 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

If you do choose Charleston.(absolutely beautiful, historic city) do take a carriage ride, as mentioned in post above.......................we were there(family vacation) 9 years ago and I still remember how great it was...also...Savannah is a wonderful city as well....

7. Re: charleston, sc,; hilton head, savannah or beaufort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:40